Thursday 3 February 2022

A need for Reflection - Continues from Ethics Theology notes

How should we understand and apply our primary affective experiences? Reflection on questions of moral knowledge, objectivity and truth (what is out there beyond myself?). Morality is based on reality. What can we know? How reliable is our knowledge? Issues of “differences” in our reflections (eg. abortion) Social relativism (what society approves). Personal relativeness (do you own thing?) Emotivism (what feels good): emotions, not statements of truth or falsity. There is no objectivity. No basis for moral creativity or criticism. Moral Objectivity The possibility of a common objective reality: in principal we ought to be able to reach universal agreement about the truth or falsity of our moral claims. Single source of appeal: rational world order; God (There is a truth of reality. If reason can find a rational order whether we believe in God or not. Out there, there is something - divine law- to have morality there has to be more than just my feelings and experiences. Critical realism: an avoidance of the extremes. This is still to continue, but I want to talk about our health care next week from a seminar near the end of last year. I am dreaming of catching up with paperwork but there is always a hiccup that interferes. I maintain a balanced life and hope you are able to as well. That appears to be more of a problem during the pandemic for many. I wish you a good weekend. Stay healthy. I am staying home until my booster is at its fullist protection for me. I am looking forward to being out again. Talk soon. If you ever have a question don't hesitate to ask. Good talk.

No comments:

Post a Comment