Friday 8 October 2021

Period Poverty - Police bashing and Happy Thanksgiving

While watching the morning news I was stunned watching the Province report from Shoppers Drug Mart, a new program to supply children and young women with sanitary products for their menstrual periods because apparently some don't even go to school during their cycles because they cannot afford the products. This will be a new program to supply schools with the products. Some other provinces have joined this initiative. Are we becoming a poor country? Of course not. This all came about because of an advocacy group which I never heard of before. So why can't parents afford to buy basic needs? I understand that the Federal Government wanted to raise the minimum pay which my province objected to. Who benefits? I try not to get involved in politics, but when people suffer due to poverty how can I ignore it? It appears we may need to revamp the entire system. Can we? What does it take? It is clear that the rich get richer and the poor, poorer with the middle class struggling to remain so. This gets me angry because if girls cannot afford to wear what they need, than I need to ask, can they afford to eat? We need to wake up and smell the coffee. All this drama about corporations flying to space is nice but why not use a bit of that money to ease suffering? I live in Toronto which has many resources for the poor. Just yesterday the Toronto Police were gathering food for two divisions in Toronto considered needy. I notice that people who have immigrated to Canada and have become successful are at the forefront to help those less fortunate. I wrote to one city official who I had voted for this morning that I was disappointed at how he targets the police. I won't be voting for him in future. There is no solution in bashing people who have impossible jobs. We have a high criminal element in Toronto with people committing horrible crimes when out on bail. That is a problem. I see that problem and how it affects survivors and families of those who are killed because of guns and violence and drugs. I also understand the drug dealers who make money and gain respect which they never had before. How do we resolve problems? I strongly believe we need to upgrade our education for younger students. We do that by upgrading expectations from the Education Board. We need to reach out to children to offer them a safe place where they can share their experiences with a zero tolerence for bullies. Yet, the bullies need help too so their family lives need to be investigated. So, now that I spoke my mind, how was your day? We will be enjoying Thanksgiving this weekend. If you are in Toronto and can't afford it now is not the time to be too proud. Take advantage of the resources available. Unfortunately I am also aware that people who do not need help go and get resources, pretending to need it. Please stop that. If you can afford it, leave it for someone else who needs it. Let's all do something nice for someone this Thanksgiving. It may be dropping off a non-expired food product or toy where needed. It may be just be a smile for someone. It may be a listening ear. Because of the pandemic, Thanksgiving for me will be spent with my little delightful family. Keep safe and Happy Thanksgiving.

No comments:

Post a Comment