Friday 1 October 2021

Addiction panel in recovery - webinar

This week I attended a two hour event webinar. The title was Recovery Day: Navigating a life in Recovery. It was worth two education hours and I need 20 hours which I surpass each year. I didn’t realize that this was about addiction. I have attended so many and as you know I like to have a wide range of education and experiences. I won’t identify who held it because it was obvious to me that this was for the intent of marketing their organization. Though I think they are good, I let clients form their own opinions and encourage them to navigate and explore options. I think that clients should make their own decisions, especially if they have to pay for it. Unfortunately, mental health is becoming big business. I do recommend CAMH, because it is free and their resources are excellent. They also have lots of funding. All of the panel and the host speaker had been part of the program and offered high praises. I did not hear of the percentage of recovery and of how difficult the process was with examples. The first speaker emphasised kindness towards addicts. The word kept arising and I pondered how much she must have needed kindness during her journey and may have lacked it. The rest of the panel were men with the exception of one who now works part time for the institution. There was general attention to identifying emotions. I find that imperative in all types of conditions and therapy. However, it is always up to the client and their comfort level of how deep they want to go or can go and at what point they are ready to do so. They talked about setting boundaries and it is something that everyone should consider having. They encouraged involving children with groups of children or alone if they are acting out. They indicated it can be hard for children and I concur. They talked about the importance of following up with their groups after being released. One male who is gay indicated his coping tool was drinking. I find that this is common. I have actually asked people what their coping tools are and they quite frankly say drinking, thinking it is an appropriate tool. It is always nice to hear personal stories. And that is what it is - their stories. There are commonalities and then there are differences. They did talk about families and I have seen addicts and families together and sometimes separately. Sometimes there are also personality disorders and then there are multiple addictions. It can be very painful for everyone and there is often a lot of blame and acting out. People may be at different stages. They don’t think there is a problem, that it is the other person’s problem. Addicts also identify they may have a problem but are not ready to deal with it, that they have a problem but can’t deal with it now; that they acknowledge that they have a problem and are ready to deal with it. The latter is where my job is easier. I offer resources such as attending AA, going to a treatment centre for admission or as an outpatient. Joining groups, Al-Anon for their families to help them understand and cope. I also employ psychotherapy and have them examine new tools and hobbies and mindfulness. It is hard work and people may or may not be able to work at it at the moment. They need to feel ready or be at their lowest point, reaching rock bottom and losing their jobs, families etc……Sometimes families have to step back to heal themselves. This week I also read an article from Psychology today Oct 21, issue and it had an interesting account regarding men versus women by Dr Lantie Elisabeth Jorandby. I have to admit that though I see women, I have seen more men with addictions. It is usually when they have reached a point that they have to. Dr Jorandby states that her female patients may see her after struggling with alcohol for two years. The men she sees may take as long as five to ten years to reach the same level of addiction and sickness. She adds that a report in Alcohol Research and Health 2006, suggests women are less likely to take that step than men. I found this interesting because I would like to know more about the statistics of that. Is it correlated only or is there some evidence such as men being bread winners etc….. I have found that it is normally because people are about to lose their livelihood when they seek help but it is mainly to appease others unless they have come full circle to admit that they do actually need help. Dr Jorandby also talks about Gender-Specific treatment in rehab centres, due to specific gender - specific treatment. Anyhow that is enough about addiction for today. I have written about addictions numerous times in previous blogs. Have a good weekend. Stay safe. What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment