Friday 6 November 2020

Updates on Hallowe’en, seminars, elections! - Food for thought

Once again it has been a busy week. Even my vehicle is sick and so it is getting treatment as we speak. It is on its last wheels. I told you I would update you on my Hallowe’en experience. This is the first year that I never put out anything, not even a pumpkin though they were very cheap. I didn’t because I did not want to encourage children to go trick or treating at my home. Normally I will get 125 + and that is not counting their parents, dogs (I have treats for them too) etc…This year I put out the sign that I was invisible due to Covid and to help themselves to treats. I had about a total of 10 children in all. There was barely a dent in what I had out. I was impressed at how meticulous each child was as she/he carefully chose a treat. I was also impressed at how no one took the entire bowl. They were so polite and sweet. It was nice to see. Aside from seeing clients, I have also attended meetings, seminars and conferences (I need to send a reminder for a certificate). I have a drawer full of certificates just in case I am asked by my college for proof. I am going to have to think of a better way, rather than keep filling up drawers. Perhaps I shall keep them on a usb stick. Good idea. There has been quite a controversy this year about racism and I did hear lectures on what I wrote earlier about the Oriental community, and also black lives from three different men speakers. I have decided not to share all that. You know that racism is wrong. You know that prejudice is wrong. Who did impress me the most was one man at a meeting as a guest speaker and not an educator. He is a reporter and he spoke about unity. He talked about the Jane and Finch corridor and how the university, York, helps. I remember being told years ago about how gang sexual assaulters would persuade young girls that they shouldn’t bother reporting it to the police because they are even worse. He talked about how newspapers are full of black men in the crime section and not very much in the community pages. As a reporter he was able to influence and he spoke about a florist who gave him a dozen roses and asked that he give 11 away. This was for community spirit. What this reporter did as well is plant a dozen roses and when people walk by his house he will cut off a rose and give it to them to start a conversation. His talk during this meeting had me reflecting on what I can do for my community. My community is not underserved or is it? My community is changing. Someone started a community alert system and conversation and so residents were contacted and of course I am one. They recommend services and if someone doesn’t perform we all know about it. If someone steals or goes canvassing, we all hear about it. It is very proactive and it unites. What I liked about the reporter is that he too unites. With the US elections I wasn’t expecting such a close race. It tells me that this election is very polarized. I completed watching the 9/11 history series and contemplated how connected we all were. I had tears watching the towers go down at the time. I remember how we all stood united. I remember how Canada helped. With the elections in the States, I see the polarized division and only hope that we all unite once again. I love the States. I had actually wanted to work there, but now with my registration, I am no longer allowed to work there for more than a year without jeopardizing my license. Oh well. New York I shall visit once again and Disney World, you are my favourite happy place. The States is my neighbour regardless who is elected. This morning 24 hours news reported that wholesale foods won’t allow their employees to wear poppies. What can I say to that? Have a good weekend. I should be back to normal in my reports next week. If you have a question, don’t hesitate to ask. Today I am going to finalize my new website with shopify. I will give it a go. It is a Canadian Company and I am able to connect to the post office here which will be easier for delivery costs world wide. The web site for that should be www.silvaredigonda.ca I am now at www. silvaredigonda.com. I shall keep my American site for advertising my psychotherapy services. I am adding a calendar for psychotherapy as well, but I won’t be able to provide many appointments. I have no time to write my book. It is still a 20pages. Have a good weekend. Be safe. Keep your distance and wear your mask. This pandemic is very serious and very real. Bye for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment