Sunday 29 March 2020

How was your week? #COVID - 19

I am quite a structured living person. I like routine. Sometimes, I cheat and I am ok with it. I usually fill up my fridge and freezer and when the freezer is empty, I do a thorough cleaning and then go shopping and fill up the freezer again. This is one way to ensure that I don’t keep the food in the freezer for too long. It was just my luck that just before life as we know changed, I had done that shopping after cleaning up my fridge/freezer nicely. Last week I mentioned wanting to extend my practice to electronic. I am almost there. I spent the week becoming informed as much as possible until I was exhausted. I went out for a walk twice to clear my head, while trying to stay away from people from at least six feet. I was doing well until I walked into a local bakery. The first time I went in was only because there were a few people within and the second time I was alone. All the chairs and tables had been removed which is good and following Toronto’s standards right now. Even though there were a few people, the first time I was in, a woman was zig zagging all over the place searching for what items she wanted the clerk to get for her. I was zig zagging right behind her trying to maintain my distance. Finally, I had to say the words, “social distancing.” I had it be known that unless social distancing was not being complied with, I wouldn’t be able to return. A week later, I went for my walk and needing some basic foods, and seeing no one within I walked in for the last time. While I was trying to maintain distancing, people walked in and just moved in ahead of me. As I remarked about this, fury ignited and the proprietor suggested no fighting. As much as I love this bakery I will not return until the pandemic is over. It would be so easy for them to rope up the area and serve one person at a time, but it is not being done. I realize that not everyone is taking physical distance crucial but it is. I decided that the time had come when I had to venture further and so I went out to Fortino’s. It is situated at a mall and so I went and was surprised by the amount of parked cars in the lot. I was headed to the grocery store entrance when I was directed to enter via a caged pathway with poles spaced apart and a note attached to stop there, having a clear appropriate distance from each person. I had to wait until those before me had their cart which had already been cleaned for us. The tv news has asked us to shop alone and for the most part this was being done. The aisles are not made for distancing, but everyone was doing their best. I did buy more than usual because I want to minimize going out. It also cost me a lot more because I normally buy different items at different places. Not at this time, however. There was direction for us to enter each cashier stand which was being protected by a shield. One thing I did notice was the amount of people wearing face masks. My thoughts went to the health care workers requesting protective masks and other equipment. I wondered why so many were wearing what the health care workers need right now. I also noted that all but one, was wearing them incorrectly. Now I am hibernated nicely in my home. However, again I had a knock on my door a few days ago by a well meaning person who handed me a card. I went to the kitchen to wash my hands before returning to my phone call. People are still not getting it, that maintaining distance is very very important. Families are still visiting families and neighbours are still visiting neighbours. Now is not the time if we want to contain this virus. If people did what they are asked to do by health officials, we could combat this. If the virus has nowhere to go, it will cease. I am still seeing a minimum of clients who need to be seen, but we are maintaining social distance and the area is cleaned after each session. I would really love to do therapy on line and as I extend to electronic, I will encourage this more so. Last night one family member died from the COVID - 19 virus in Italy. He was creative, an activist in his younger day and had so much to still offer his family and society. I had never met him, but had heard so much. This is a very serious and deadly disease which people need to take seriously. This will get much more serious, before it gets better, so wake up and smell the coffee. Stay home. By the end of next week I want to be set up to begin my electronic practice. One of my associations has really stepped up in providing us with information and support. Wednesday we will begin conferencing and developing self care measures on a weekly basis. I am deciding if I should practice just in Canada or extending to the US and overseas. I need to always be mindful of the laws and regulations of other areas to determine if I have to omit certain states, provinces or countries. This will be a work in progress. However, for now, I need to get online to encourage my own clients to seriously consider this alternative. I still have lots of work to do. This is a good time for all of you to reflect where you are at this time in your life. How is this pandemic affecting you? Is your country taking this pandemic seriously? Are you in an abused relationship and noting that abuse is escalating? The police is still working. This is a time to ponder, reflect and determine what is best for you. This situation will subside eventually. I wish you all well and thank you for reading my blogs. My favourite city New York is suffering so much. However, I have faith in their mayor and governor to do the best they can. Our own politicians are serving us well, though I don’t think it is wise to travel on flights, trains and buses within provinces at this time. Tomorrow they will state that travellers cannot fly if they have signs of sickness. However, you can be a carrier without showing signs of sickness. We need to protect our more vulnerable places and people. I don’t normally do anything on line on Sundays or work. However, I wanted to talk to you today because the rest of the week I want to focus on the care of my clients and electronic measures. I do need to buy a new computer as soon as the stores open again. I don’t want to be taken advantage of on line. I know where I will go I will get a fair price, thought expensive for what I buy. I need what is best for my clients without being gorged. If you have a question, don’t hesitate to ask. In my last blog I provided legitimate resources regarding the pandemic. There is no cure right now so don’t believe these fraudsters trying to make a huge buck on your health. You may consume something that can cause harm. Maintain your distance from others and don’t go out if you don’t have to. Our Prime Minister and Premier are calling out people and corporations trying to take advantage of people by hiking up their prices. They can get up to one year in jail as well as a hiked fine for them. I wish you all to keep safe. Remember you have control of you. There are a lot of sites for mindfulness and self care on line. However, if you think you need more, let me know and I can talk about that. Be safe. What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment