Saturday 21 March 2020

Electronic Practice

I have already been asked if I provide Electronic Practice. I wrote a paper about this when it was just beginning and I was a student. I may have already posted it years ago. If not it will be posted here eventually. I still have clients who want to meet face to face. At this time I am still seeing them though providing them the option by telephone. I have been providing tele therapy either because my clients are travelling, or other circumstances for quite a while. I have always preferred face to face, but realize that circumstances are quickly changing. I have also been asked to consider this option even if temporary through this pandemic. Do I prefer face to face at this time? Of course not. However, I consider my occupation an essential service. I do weigh, as asked, each case to determine if face to face is the only option. I do maintain social distance and disinfect areas between clients. My careers have always been in the service of others with their own particular risks. There is more involved than just starting an electronic practice on demand. I may need to buy another computer. I will probably need to have a HIPPA compliant program. I will need to know if I am authorized to provide therapy where the client lives. I will need to know their laws of duty to report etc…..There is much involved. Time is evolving and perhaps it is time to expand to this domain. If I start this, I will more than likely continue along this path, providing more options for myself and my clients. There is much more to consider. Right now I want to educate myself on what I need to know. I have lots of questions that need to be answered as well. That is that for now. Monday I will be attending my seminar (5 hours) on line. This is what I was informing you about a few blogs ago regarding physical diseases causing mental illness. It should be interesting and as per usual I will share notes with you. I will miss interacting with my colleagues. For now take care of yourselves. Toronto is getting quiet and I must admit I am enjoying this down time. I feel like I am on holidays without all the noise that comes with the city. Many find this time eerie. Listen to the advice of the medical doctors especially those dealing with infectious diseases. My politicians are stepping up to the plate. They are listening and working with Health Care Professionals. Not all countries are, so please listen to those who know. Right now social distancing is more important than ever. Stay home if you can. This may be the time when you have to say no to people who want to see you. It may even be family members who simply do not understand. I had an elderly woman contact me telling me she just got back from Florida but was well stocked. When she isn’t, I shall bring her what she needs and leave it on her porch. That is how you can help those who need help. Keep in contact by telephone or internet. This is a very serious time and no one is immune. I studied about this happening in the future in an undergrad course. I think it was “Medicine Biology and the Human Body. Anyhow have a safe weekend. I am providing you with my blog today because I want to focus on my own education and clients next week. Take care of yourselves. Keep your physical distance from others regardless of your age; wash your hands more and keep your hands away from your face. This affects everyone. This is all temporary. Ride out the storm by quieting your soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment