Tuesday 11 September 2018

News flash..............................

I normally begin my day with prayer, reflection and then I watch the news. I turn on CP 24, City Pulse 24 hour news. Reporters inform us of what is happening in the city and if that is not enough there is a scroll of news as well. When this scrolling began, I thought listening to one without reading the scrolls was enough. However, I have begun to be quite proficient at doing both, especially since I can reverse what I am seeing and speed forward at a seconds notice. This morning I stopped as I read “UN report says the number of people facing chronic food deprivation globally increased to 821 million in 2017.” I am stunned. The numbers are staggering. I pause to write that down and then I read, “Authorities in Vietnam’s capital are urging residents to stop eating dog meat because it hurts the city’s image.” What can I say to that? I continue to be bombarded with city news regarding TIFF and then the scroll continues to rapture me, “20,336 people were murdered in South Africa between April 2017 and March 2018”. I decide to take out my laptop and record this news for you and then I see the date on my lap top, Sep 11. Is there one of us who is not touched by that date? There was no mention of that on the news but I almost turned off the tv because I didn’t want to see anymore bad news. I wanted to return to my normal. My sense of safety and security which I realize is an illusion. Then the Amazing Race Canada Heroes popped up and the final three were interviewed. I focused on them, as the scroll continued with news I had already read. The finale is tonight. I watch the American and Canadian shows. Remember I tape all my shows and watch it at leisure. I continue to read the scrolls, “Apple growers in Nova Scotia say frost in the spring has destroyed nearly 50% of their crop.” I then turn off the news. I have heard enough for this morning. The phone rings, I am needed to help someone who is in a minor crises. It is a private client. I ponder. I love my life. I am right where I want to be at this stage of my life. After my second career, I had believed I saw it all and heard it all. I was wrong. Now at this young, old age of mine, I know better. I hear horrendous stories. That is my work. Living in a multi-cultural city, I have seen people from all religions and cultures. If I have missed one, I probably will get another opportunity. I have admired many who I have seen who have been able to overcome so many obstacles and challenges in their lives. When I joined my first career, my mother said it would be difficult for me because I would be forced to deal with people I didn’t like. She was right. She told me that right up to my twenties, I had decided who was in my circle of friends and associates. However, by being forced to work and socialize with people who I normally would avoid, I have become a better person and therapist. I know there are extreme views which are so engrained that to see beyond that view is impossible for some. However, I also know that exposure and education works. We live in a world where people are starving when they shouldn’t be. Politicians act as if they are God. Even the Western world is becoming threatened with elected officials challenging democracy. One thing I have learned is that freedom is very important. I cherish my freedom. Would I allow myself be tortured because of my religion by some low IQ tyrant? I don’t know. I would think that I was ok to say anything to survive, because deep in my soul, I am who I am and regardless of what I would say, I would never give up my religion within my soul. However, I know that until I am in a situation, however clear it is to what I think I will do, will or may not happen. People are always amazed by their own behaviours when dealing with an unforeseen crises. We live in a beautiful world where anything good is possible. Look at the marvel of nature. How often do I encourage my clients to spend time in nature or at least to utilize the brain by taking mini breaks of imagining nature as chaos is around them. I know that average intelligence is not all that high. I know that one cannot assess their own intelligence accurately. But I have a dream. In that dream, people take a stand against dictatorship. Priorities change from ridiculous wars on trade to actually uniting about feeding all people in the world and to begin sincerely caring for others. I believe that corporations now in charge will dwindle in their immense, as climate change becomes so obvious to the most resistant person. We live in a beautiful world and though we seem to keep repeating our mistakes throughout history, we have the technology to know so much. Now we just have to catch up emotionally and ethically to take care of each other and question…….What can I do to make a difference for others and myself? What can I do to make a difference for my planet? What can I do? My thoughts will be in New York today. It is my favourite city. What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment