Friday 9 March 2018

Come From Away - musical. What do you enjoy? Explore your feelings.

This is certainly the best musical I saw this past year. It evoked emotions that surprised me. I laughed, I teared, I was happy and I was contemplative. What happened at the terrorist attack with the twin towers, and other disasters during 9/11 clearly more than upset the world, as it was designed to do so. However, what the terrorist fails to realize due to his limitations, is how people bond, and how the best can be seen as well with those suffering. This theatre show is definitely about bonding, but it is even much more. The setting is Gander Newfoundland where airplanes land and park, following the acts of terrorism during 9/11. I too learned a bit more about my country. I didn't realize that Gander is small. I thought it was a metropolitan city because of the size of its airport. I learned a bit about their customs and structure. This is a production that won awards because it is amazing, the acting, singing and story. I don't want to say too much more because I do not want to give anything away as a spoiler alert. One of the things I normally ask my clients is what do they do for fun? What do they like? What are their hobbies? What I do find is that some have no interests. They think they may have no interest because they are overwhelmed, or depressed or etc.....They may fail to enjoy hobbies, etc....because they have never had the opportunity to try or they had a bad experience. I always encourage a balance no matter how busy one seems to think he or she is. I encourage a balance to enjoy what life offers. Humans are not meant to live isolated. As I watched the performance I was quite aware of all the emotions I was feeling because I have been trained to do so. You can learn too to focus on how you are feeling in the moment and try to explain this feeling to yourself or someone close to you. Explore how you feel when you are in the company of other(s). Is it positive? Negative? Why? If negative, what are you going to do about it, now that you are acutely aware? What makes you laugh and/or cry? What memories are conjured? Why not take some time this weekend to reflect? What is you position in politics, religion, quality of relationships, definition of fun? Does any of this make you mad, sad or happy? Are you content? More than content? Less than content? What do you do to relax? Is it healthy? Do you try to escape by drinking, taking drugs, or have you realized that you may have an addiction because you cannot seem to stop or have binges? Take some time to reflect and ask yourself if you are where you want to be? If not, why not start today to make a change in your life, whatever it may be you need? Do you need to develop coping skills? Do you need a satisfying job? Do you need a healthier relationship with someone in your life? Do you need to find a way to forgive? Do you need to find something to enjoy? Do you need to take control back for your life, or make a change? Why not start right now? What do you think? Have a nice weekend. I shall.

No comments:

Post a Comment