Wednesday 14 September 2016

Sully - the movie (I really liked it)

I remember watching the news when it happened. A passenger airplane had landed on the Hudson river. What amazed me was that there were no fatalities. I didn’t know the pilot had been a fighter pilot in the military. I remember watching a documentary some time ago about crashes and how the pilots today do not have the skills as those pilots with years of experience before everything became so computerized. The documentary depicted that flying today is so automated that when something does happen, the skills of old are not there. Sully, a pilot with 42 years of experience was able to land that plane when how many others could? I was aware of Sully as a hero for the people and no wonder. What I was not aware of was the internal investigation that he and his co-pilot suffered. Recently, the media proclaimed that the investigators did not like the way they were portrayed in the media. I can understand their perspective as well. No one likes to be judged and shamed world wide. Because, this is what will happen. The judging has become reversed. I wasn’t aware that Sully had to worry about money during this process and that he could have lost his pension, pending the results of the investigation. I went to see this movie because I was interested in the details especially since Sully was such an active participant in all it’s making. This has been from my perspective very therapeutic for Sully. I often advise my clients who have suffered trauma to begin writing their story, though I recommend it during therapy, so they can bring into therapy, the emotions that come with it, so as it is not too overwhelming, depending on the trauma and how long ago it happened. It is natural that even Sully second guessed himself during the process. There have been studies depicting a person in the right, changing his stance where everyone else in the room is different from what is occurring. That Sully has such an analytical brain, that he was able to direct the investigation to where it should have started with in the first place, was his saving grace. That it took 17 tries I believe for the simulation piloting to land on a runway, should have been considered, without him having to ask that question. That the “human factor” had to be considered for timing was also missing from the investigation. How does one investigate? Each and every possibility needs to be considered, how, who, why, what, when, has to each be taken apart, and studied and re-examined through a process of elimination or not. Was this done in the investigation? It did not appear so. We have as a society become quite dependant on computers. Not that long ago, a friend of mine told me to leave my car, on the driveway as she reversed her car from the garage, planning to drive around my car. She had just bought a jewel of a vehicle, fully equipped and automated with a stylish screen, to ensure she could reverse safely. I hollered out for her to stop as I could see she was going to hit my car. However, since her screen indicated that she could reverse without hitting my car, she trusted it, more than my eyesight and sense of perception. Yes, she hit my car. My car cried. Though she was quite upset about it, it was her disbelief that the computer failed to see the collision which surprised me most. No, I did not take her money. I mean the car was 20 years old but if it wasn’t, it would have been me crying. Though this is a real dismal and poor analogy, I hope my point is understood. I am sorry that this pilot had to suffer. I hope that he makes lots of money selling his books and from the proceeds of this movie. I hope the airliner has compensated him and I hope he gets a hefty bonus for saving so many lives as well. Give me a computer or a military pilot with over 40 years of experience. Well, for me that is a no brainer. Thank you Sully for saving all those people. Yes, it was a collaborative success. This is a movie which demonstrates integrity, skill, team work, the importance of wonderful co-partners, the importance of a supportive family, and a system that can fail those who deserves the best. Aw, to be human!

No comments:

Post a Comment