Friday 14 September 2012

Alzheimer’s Disease

     My first experience with Alzheimer’s was with the mother of a friend of mine who I knew for most of my life.  As she began to experience forgetfulness, she shared her experiences and fears with me.  Eventually, she would no longer recognize me and the last time I saw her, she cowered away from me in fear.  That is my last memory of her in life.   I was very young at the time, as I watched this incredible intelligent woman suffer as she realized what was happening to her.
  Alzheimer’s is one of the topics in Family Therapy Magazine, Jul/ Aug 2012 which I shall share some information with you.
  Alzheimer’s disease is one type of dementia and accounts for half of dementia cases.  5.4 million Americans live with it.  An estimated 500,000 Canadians have the disease or related dementia.  A small percentage of those with Alzheimer’s disease will have the symptoms as early as their 40’s.  One in eight people 65 and over have it and the amount of those afflicted doubles every five years thereafter.   Early onset occurs in people age 30 to 60 and represents less than 5% of all who have the disease.  Most develop the disease after 60 years of age.
The disease is due to harmful accumulation of proteins in key areas of the brain that link to the creation and maintenance of mult-sense and rich memories and the sense of confidence in the accuracy of these memories. 
It is estimated that 54 % of Americans will be touched by the disease.  Free educational series on the disease may be found at www.alzheimers.org.uk and www.alzheimer.ca   (England and Canada Alzheimer’s societies.
Fear, impatience, confusion and anger are all normal reactions to witnessing the progression of this disease (pp 7, 8, 11). 
      What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment