Tuesday 10 April 2012

Easter, School is over!!!!!!!!! TTC, the better way?

     I spent Easter with family.  I found myself blowing bubbles for my mother.  She reminded me that when I was young, she would mix soap with water for me to create the bubbles.  I did not intend to blow bubbles.  It was within a chocolate gift pack I had bought for her.  As I blew the bubbles, I observed the beautiful crystalized colours within, floating into the sky.  I imagined the creation of planets being spewed forth into the universe.  I had a renewed appreciation for my mother who had taught me that I could be who ever I wanted, and who taught me that people were all equal and deserving of love and justice.  I also appreciated that I could also play as a child does and that it is ok.  We all need to play.  What is your version of play and how often do you do it?  Eventually, I gave my toy to a little boy who managed to use up all the bubbles in five minutes to my hour or so.  

     Yesterday, was my last day of my second advance Pastoral Counselling Education.  When I think of how much I have spent on education, I want to hide my head under my pillow and cry.  Yesterday was great as I completed another phase of my journey.  We had a great farewell and another certificate that I file away,  but I know it is not quite the end.  The graduates plan to unite once a month or so.  I will have to eventually update my profile, for the next stage.  I still have another two years of papers to write, since  studying is never over.  Nor should it be when working with clients.
      Now I hope to spend more time writing my own book.  There are just so many hours in a day. 
      Yesterday was interesting as I pondered about my changing city.  On the subway platform, on my way to school a woman shoved me aside, as she raced into the subway train.  I don't quite know why I felt so calm.  I continued to walk into the subway train and the doors closed against my arms.  That hurt!  I wondered how an elderly woman would have fared?  I felt shoved and beaten up and it wasn't even 0830.    Returning home, there was a large lineup for the bus.  We got in after much grumbling among the small crowd who intimidated others to get in first.  The driver was shutting the doors after telling the rest outside that the bus was full.  A man began shouting for the driver to f--k off.  There was a lot of tension and anger floating around.  The driver remained polite and appologized for the lack of buses.
     At another stop, he tried to prevent people from entering, as there was no room.  A woman stood firm, telling him that she was not leaving and there was some more rude banter directed at the driver.  He seemed to handle that well and asked everyone to please move to the back.  Somehow, that happend.
    After a few minutes a woman told another not to shove and that caused another spew of anger.  An elderly woman came in and I offered her my seat.  This prompted a man to offer his seat as well.
    As I left the bus thinking, that if this had been my first experience with the TTC, it would have been my last.  And we need more rails, in a congested city in lieu of subways??????????  I appologized to the driver for all the abuse he had taken and so gracefully.  I really felt bad for him.  "They couldn't pay me enough to do your job" I told him.  He thanked me.  I wondered what had happened to my beloved city.  Who are these people?  I hoped that the tourists did not get a taste of this from the once Toronto, the good.  The sadness of  all this is that there were children learning that it is ok to swear at a driver and to disregard any rules he needs to follow.  Children that day learned that it is ok to disrespect each other and that yelling gets results.
     I wondered why I was still calm and realized that I do not need to take the bus anymore.  I reminded myself that I have a car, as well.  Maybe it was also the satisfaction of having a wonderful Easter with family and a wonderful last day of school.  How was your Holy week?

  

No comments:

Post a Comment