Tuesday 19 March 2024

Crime rising in Toronto and Niagara Falls is a breath of fresh air

I missed the night news yesterday and boy did things happen. Apparently a NDP politician wearing the Palestinian scarf wanted a recogition for the country. There was some compromise. This compromise may have cost Trudeau his election. As for myself, I do not recognize any country led by terrorists and Hamas has been deemed terrorist. The Police Chief reported 989 hate crimes since Oct 7, last year. Hate crimes in Toronto are up 93% since last year (I won't even talk about the car thefts). Anti Semitism has been the most targeted, which increased after the Hamas attack on Israel. Where do I stand? I stand with Israel. I don't like what is happening in the Middle East right now. So many innocent people and children are needlessly killed. I feel the same about Putin in his war against Ukraine. What we need to think about is that dictators and terrorists are never satisfied and some of us have to take a wake up pill or smell the coffee. As Canadians we need to think about what direction we want our country to go. My mom used to say that Canada opened her arms to the world and she was being kicked in the behind by those same people. I really loved my mom. She was upset that I didn't want her Swiss duel citizenship for myself. What can I say? I love Canada and I love Toronto. However, I remember my dad complaining about change and I am obviously doing the same here. I am my parents. Good thing they had good qualities. I think that as Canadians, we need to each take a look at ourselves and ask ourselves who we want to be and how can we get there? The City of Vaughan which is just outside Toronto wants to create a bi-law to control all these protests, I am so tired of and which keeps me from going places I would have normally gone to. Protests are a right for democracy but this is getting out of control. I think and it is my personal opinion that it is contrary to my freedom. I don't like having my routes blocked by hatred. We have always, as Canadians been known as a warm and inviting country, but this will eventually change. The world is watching. We have always been able to get along. However, we were also on the same page as part of the Western world. We are not perfect, nor have we ever been, but we can all do our part. I have always detested protests. I remember when I went to the University of Toronto, I would be in class and looking out the window watching demonstrations on Parliament. It was loud and destruptive. I love silent demonstrations. When I was in Niagara Falls Sunday, I gazed at the roaring falls and thought that it was the kind of noise I yearned for - not angry voices, but the sounds of nature. I met a woman who had moved to Niagara nine years ago and she and her husband love it. So does their son, but he had to return to Toronto for work. She said I should move to Chippawa and that it was nice and quiet and lovely. We had actually driven to Chippawa's Betty's restaurant known for their fish and chips. "Do you like quiet?" She asked. "Yes" I replied quickly. But how quiet is quiet? I mean, my favourite place to live in the world would be New York. How quiet is New York? I love Disney World. How quiet is Disney World? I remember when I moved to the Middle East and lived in the desert for six months.....quiet.....When I returned I didn't want to move to PEI as I thought I would before going to the Sinai. I wanted city. But when we ventured to Chippawa and were driving along Main Street, I saw a house I am monitoring on the Realestate app. It is now being sold by a Toronto agent who is listing it as being 1km for the falls, which it isn't. It does not indicate it is in Chippawa. I would never use an agent outside the location I was trying to sell, but this house is having difficulty being sold. It looks better on the internet and bigger on the internet and it is asking for about 670 or so. It has a little church across the street which is ok for me. I could watch people going to church and maybe they have bake sales. I need people around me even if it is just on Sundays. I saw only one person walking a dog. I see animals from my home here all day long or anywhere. I even have treats for them. They have a grocery store, pizza shop, bakery place, tax place, tiny library and Tim Horton's all within walking distance so I can grow into old age nicely. The house has a basement apartment where friends can stay when they visit. The falls is 4 km away so it is a bike distance away. I saw a coyote which normally doesn't make me nervous, but there have been a few incidents here due to people feeding them. It is rather isolated so maybe I don't want to outwalk a coyote but probably can ride faster scared. Did that in the Middle East. Only I was racing away from a Fijian. Maybe the coyote is safer. I am thinking all this. I remember having dinner with my old professor, whom I miss so much since he died from COVID. He asked me if I was going to Niagara to die and he chuckled as he always did when making insinuendoes my way. I know people return to Toronto all the time after leaving because they are bored there. So, the question is would I be bored? As I ponder while typing, I don't really have days of boredom regardless of where I am. I need to be around people. I love people and that is why I have always had jobs/careers where I help people, and I have helped a lot. I know that. I know that there is the good, bad and ugly out there. I have had an encounter with the ugly the Sunday before last. But I also said a little prayer for them just once. I know that there will be a time that they will have to reflect on their lives and on who they have hurt. I have seen that from people many times. That is unless they are anti-social. Sociopaths are not all criminals either. Ok, I like people and I prefer multicultural with all kinds of differences and what unites us all - our compassion. I can see that at the Falls and across the street when people go to church. It is a tiny church and I hope it has bells because I love church bells. There is a theatre on Niagara on the Lake (suffering now because of costs). There is also entertainment at the Falls. I don't have to fight crowds to see a show. That is a positive. So will I like it? I don't believe they have protests. It is across the bridge from the USA. I love that. All positive. I also like their Mayor - another big plus. The woman I talked to said that the only thing she missed from Toronto is the food because of course we have everything here. She said it was changing there. I kind of like keeping Niagara as Niagara. When we leave a place and then try to make it like our place, we can also ask, do we really want to do that? I used to love going to Kleinburg. It was quaint and cute. Now it looks like an extension of Toronto with Monster homes. It's charm - poof. Food? Hey, if it has high tea and veggie burgers - I'm good. Yes. Ok, I think I am good. You know I also have my name on the list to live on Toronto Island. However, I shall probably die before being able to go there. I shall keep my name on the list. I am 250. They have 250 houses. That means that all of them will have to go. Of course, people drop out and others sell. So, let's say Mr Attitude dies. He refuses to do so, at the moment. I move to Niagara and feel like I am dying there because of the quiet and then I get notice that there is a house up for grabs - am I interested? Don't sweat the small stuff. It is all good. What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment