Friday 24 November 2023

Happy Belated Thanksgiving to my neighbours - South (USA)

I taped the Thanksgiving Parade and am watching it in segments. It is thanksgiving for the people being returned home to Israel. I would have loved to have seen everyone released but it is a start. Yesterday was a frustrating day. I had signed up with Toronto Enterprise for a two hour lecture on cyberg security threats for businesses. I couldn't seem to retrieve a ticket with code, they advertized, which apparently I didn't need because just before the talk, they sent me the login. It began with acknowledging the aboriginal lands which I am used to. They do it now before any lecture, to be respectful. Then they acknowledged that there are from the Black community, people who had to come to Canada against their will. I was surprised by this and my grey cells started to rotate. I have to admit I know more about Black Slavery when it comes about the States. I did attend a town near Windsor where we were informed that Black slaves came from the Underground Railroad and settled in the town and did well. Niagara Falls has a museum as well regarding the Underground Railroad. I have watched several documentaries. I know that when the slaves were escaping for their freedom to Canada, we had slaves here who were not freed. Sounds absurd doesn't it? I know that in the early 1900's a Black man had his own Taxi Company in Toronto. I know that there was a lot of prejudice. However, in school, I only read "Black like me" in grade 8. So, the acknowledgement did make me think. Then there was talk about the city library which helps start up businesses. So at this point, five minutes into what I thought was going to be a topic about cyber attacks, security etc.....I was sure I was in the wrong lecture, told them in the chat, I had registered for the wrong event and left. Apparently, I was at the right place because I received the slides later. So, that frustrated me. A toaster I was supposed to receive Wednesday, never came til today and it was left on the stairs outside for anyone to steal, if I hadn't seen the truck. My office is by the front window. I had to go to the post office twice because I sold my second book and first book on Amazon. First they told me I had seven days and then it was the next day which was yesterday. The postage cost the same as one book and today trying to increase the postage was like pulling out a tooth that doesn't want to come out. It is really hard getting help these days. Anyhow, while trying to catch up and having to go out, I decided that since everything was going bad, I might as well get my hair done and get lunch. Well, that turned out well. I was already in a mood and was getting ready to turn left into the mall when an older man, driving from the opposite direction decided he wanted to turn left right into my car. I honked and stopped and behold he sees me, missing me by six inches. My day seemed to get worse. He had a cigarette hanging out of his mouth, which he must have been trying to light, thus not seeing me. I finally get to my hairdresser and he becomes my therapist as I fume. I get him going and he asks if asking for pronouns can be considered illegal to ask. My grey cells start rotating again and I ponder. Actually, the Enterprise people which means the City of Toronto I presume did want to know if I was heteorsexual or among a list to tick off. They wanted to know my gender and a whole lot of answers to questions. I looked at my hairdresser who I shall call Paul and said I think there can be a case. However, I am not a lawyer. He tells me they want to know that if you apply to work for the city. I think of how in the old days when they added Ms to replace Mrs or Miss and how some got upset about that. Really is it really anyone's business if a woman is married or single? Men were just Mr's single or married. Why did women have to have their marital status revealed? I have heard people complain because they don't want to reveal their pronouns but do because of peer pressure. I decide that my day is not getting better, and ponder that it is no wonder so many people are depressed, so I decide to go have lunch at KFC and a man stands beside me at the counter telling me he is hungry. I observe that he has an emotional disability and I buy him lunch as he demands. He yells, because I won't buy him a big drink, just a small drink with his food. He yells out that he is hungry and wants a big drink. That doesn't fall in the category of hunger, so I just pay for the small drink along with his order of food. We sit separately and another woman who I have seen before (she is a scam artist) tries to scam the woman near me. Today she is pretending not to be able to speak or hear and is producing a card which is asking for money I presume. I call her up on it, so she forgets that she cannot speak, or speak English and responds to me in English. Then something stirs in her brain and she begins talking in a foreign language. Too late, hosay. So, lunch is not as relaxing as I had hoped. There were people begging outside the post office, who looked very healthy. There were more scammers of course. I went shopping for groceries and when I finally got home, I was in a better mood. I realized that I can afford to eat well, can work as little or as much as I want, and am quite pleased with myself. Then there was a grand reporting of the coming together of three religious leaders, Jews, Muslims and Christians outside Toronto and that made me think as well. Though it was a big deal for the reporter, it wasn't for me. That is because I have attended quite a few. It was not news to me. So, they came together because of the increase in Hate, Jews being the most targeted, Muslims next and the LGBQ2+ next in Toronto. Or maybe just because what is happening in the MIddle East is affecting people here. I have often wondered why the major Religious Groups don't speak out more often as a team to the general public. This is a good first step. We need to show unification. So, though it wasn't a great day, it was not my Thanksgiving. However, as I heard people wishing each other Happy Thanksgiving at the mall; I realized they didn't know it was the Americans celebrating. Oh well, we live so close it doesn't matter. So Happy Belated Thanksgiving. I am calling it a day. Have a good weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment