Thursday 23 February 2023

SUICIDE IDEALATION

Today I attended an one hour talk provided by Ryan Slobodian representing EHN. I shall provide you with some notes which provides statistics. I don’t think this was designed for therapists but more elementary from the comments on the chat room I was reading. One hour simply isn’t enough time for this topic. I will tell you that for the first few years as a psychotherapist I was very concerned about clients committing suicide or causing harm in general. Now I am more experienced and have studied the topic, researched and attended lectures so am more confident. One of my instructors in a basic course had a client when he was a student whom had thrown himself off a bridge on the Danforth. Since then that bridge has appropriate life saving security measures. This is what Ryan reported: Every year approximately 4,500 die by suicide in Canada, about 12 people a day (this excludes MAID). High risk are men and boys, veterans, people in prison and minority populations. Women have higher rates of self harm which can be a risk factor for suicide. The rates of suicide among those aged 10 to 24 increased nearly 60% between 2007 and 2018. Indigenous suicide rate is three times higher and suicide is the leading cause of death in 2SLGBTQ and youth; four times more likely to die than their peers. Among black children it is twice as likely. What wasn’t mentioned is that though women attempt suicide more, it is elderly men who are the most who die from suicide (according to my studies). Suicide also runs in families. What I normally ask clients whom I consider at risk, is if they have suicidal thoughts and if they have planned it. Also if there is a family history of suicide. There are so many people suffering who don’t really want to die but have difficulty living with pain. There are others who think about how to kill themselves for years but don’t want to. I normally encourage clients to let at least one family member know what they experience. I am also always available for couple and family therapy since my work is very systematic. Normally, there is so much shame but reaching out does help. I also encourage a support network and work on core issues. Another thing that wasn’t mentioned is if a person suddenly changes and is very positive, it may be that he or she is ready to commit suicide since all the affairs have been taken care of. If you are feeling suicidal please get help. Another thing also not mentioned is a large amount of people who have attempted suicide and failed, found later that they didn’t really want to die. Ryan also spoke about appropriate language. I may have breached that here. Sorry. Language is always changing and quickly. I do my best, especially if it is with a client. What one person may feel is inappropriate another doesn’t. Have a good weekend everyone. Here in Toronto we have lots of snow on the ground and it is beginning to snow again. Oh boy! Take care and remember don’t hesitate to find help if you need it. If you are feeling that you want to commit suicide and you can’t wait to see someone go to a hospital and tell them. There are also suicide help lines. The choice is yours. Get the help you need please. People care more than you may think. I will be getting slides/video of this lecture. If you want a copy just let me know. There was more information that might be of interest to you. Just so you know that regardless of where you are in the world or the politics going on, I consider all people equal and worthy of being helped regardless of the state of their country, wars, terror etc….Just provide me with an email and I shall send it to you. If you wish just let me know you want me to post it and I shall. If I can help one person, it is a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment