Tuesday 21 February 2023

High Tea at Casa Loma

Aw, holidays……Just love them. Family Day weekend is no exception. High Tea……I just love High Tea but I may just have to go to England to get a proper one. Agatha Christie, you simply have made me addicted to High Tea after reading all of your books. This year I decided to go to High Tea by myself to Casa Loma. Aside from my family, most of my existing friends find the price too steep. As you know I have suffered the loss of too many friends these past few years and they were the best, which is probably why God came calling or the Grim Reaper. Since I still have a lot of work to do on myself….I have been spared to date. Thank you. I want to live a strong long life or not so strong but I want to live as long as possible. Let’s get back to my topic. I have no qualms going to restaurants by myself or touring around for that matter. I actually love my own company. I also like the company of others in groups or otherwise. It is all good. When it comes to exploring though I do at times like to do things on my own so I don’t have to keep pace with anyone, linger when I want to and speed by, when I choose. When we share activities with others we need to compromise to keep it fair and sometimes, I just like to please me, me, me. So, I decided to share my experiences this family weekend. It started with trying to make reservations for one for High Tea at Casa Loma. I simply could not click reservations for one person. I could for two and more, but not for one. So, I called and left messages because no one was available to pick up the phone. No one returned my call and after a day or two I realized that no one was going to. So, I took the next step. I called the castle itself and explained my love for my castle and how I have been going there since I was a child, that my family was in Timbucktoo and that I wanted, really wanted to go for High Tea and no one was returning my call from the caterers or whoever was responsible for the High Tea. The lady from the castle, I was speaking to regarding the complications making reservations for one indicated that it was surely a computer glitch since I had hinted at discrimination against a single, rather than family event on family weekend. “Of course not” the Casa Loma lady encouraged (it was the computers fault). After my big sob story I was assured that I could go and hold and behold I was contacted and made my reservation with a lovely lady who took all my info. I had full intention of going since I think of Casa Loma as mine. It belongs to the people of Toronto and tourists. You see the poor bloke who made our beloved castle couldn’t pay for the taxes (I hope that doesn’t happen to the rest of us) and they took his castle away from him. This is the same man who brought electricity to Toronto and eventually had to live with his butler and died penniless. There is a lesson to be learned here. Be nice to the butler, you may have to live with him in his house, when you are taxed to death. Now, the day finally arrived and I was excited. It had been a few years since I had been to the castle which was high tea by the way. Or, no wait, it was the Italian festival. That was a fantastic day. All before we were chained with the pandemic. Ok, now I am excited. I drive my car and pay the $20.00 parking fee. It is double the price I paid before or is it? The price is still reasonable for my city (did decide not to go to the auto show because the parking was too pricy and I still don’t take the TTC because people are constantly attacked and well I don’t want to be a statistic. Also, they didn’t have enough cars and so they have a driver’s track. Not enough to get me to go there. Besides the only thing I would be able to afford is the one seater they plan to sell for $6000. next year. I can wait for that if my car can survive. Ok, back to the castle. So, there is ample space to park because I am among the first reservation of the weekend. It’s early and so there is parking. It fills up fast so if you are going to park there come early. There is also parking by the college, just South of there. Now I go in and I am asked if there is anyone else in my party. “Nope” I respond. “They are all in Timbucktoo. Now why would anyone want to go to Timbucktoo when they can come to Casa Loma?” I get three cheers for that comment only I didn’t say Timbucktoo and perhaps it was just one cheer and a lot of jovial smiles. Happiness is in the air at Casa Loma. There were a lot of people at coat check this year except that it was a bit more than that. It was a different location and it appears they took my coat outside. I didn’t question that and the coat was returned warm so it is all good. There was some confusion though. They wanted single files. well that just didn’t happen and I felt sorry for the American tourists who were very confused. I am used to our limitations so there was no damper to my spirits, yet. I was provided with a band for my wrist which had to placed on with assistance because I am clueless to plastic bracelets. This year I was not directed to my usual seating but that is ok. I was directed to the restaurant/bar at the West side which was good. I had planned on going there and now I have. The seating was very comfortable which I appreciated. You see my office chair for my desk after nine long years of service broke. I placed it outside and of course someone picked it up and brought it to their residence. You would think that the guy with her would have helped her carry it but no. She managed on her own. Maybe he had a sore wrist or two? I have been trying office chairs since and haven’t found one that can offer me pure comfort and built for me. Ok, sorry, let’s get back to Casa Loma. I am taken to my seat by a dashing looking tall youth who is probably an actor or should be since his serving skills need more attention. “Will anyone be joining you?” I am asked. My response, “No, no one wanted to come with me.” So of course he charmingly responds that it is their loss or some wise words to that effect. I like my location which is near the window and I see the snow globes for outside winter dining and the parking lot where my car is waiting patiently for me (yes, my car is still alive. Thank you so much. Please hang on a bit longer). I produce my reservation for about the third time and this time I actually read it. “Family Day weekend, experience the elegance of the Edwardian era with an afternoon tea at Toronto’s iconic castle, Casa Loma. An elevated experience. Guests will sample a selection of premium teas, scones, gourmet pastries and tea sandwiches in the majestic of the Castle. Limited paid parking is available onsite at a cost of $15.00 per vehicle. Additional paid parking is available South of Casa Loma at George Brown College. 1xHigh Tea at the Castle $75.00. Subtotal $75.00. Tax $9.75 Tip (18%) 13.50 Total $98.25 Experiences are non-refundable and cannot be modified or exchanged. Please call the restaurant if changes are needed.” Why did I think I paid $20.00 for parking? Is my memory failing me because there is too much in there? Did I accidentally tip 5.00? Was I distracted looking for nearby parking? I won’t sweat it. Nada. Parking is more reasonable than I thought. So, I am totally relaxed sitting in my comfortable space listening to the violinist and simply enjoy being. I inform the dashing server that I don’t eat meat. “Do you eat Salmon?” he inquires. “Yes.” I eye the wrapped salmon and egg croissant at another’s table. I am good with it. My eyes are drawn to someone’s tray with a dessert swan (nice) and a good size fresh fruit on custard in a circular baked mini pie. I am beginning to get hungry. I am not sure why but it takes about a half hour in between the first dish of no sandwiches, no egg croissant and no savoury salmon and my dessert which finally comes There is no swan and no other eye pleasing delicate pastry. It looks bare. What I get and what others get is a no brainer. I ask the dashing waiter “why?” He informs me that there is only one option for no meat or any other dietary need. It is a standard one fits all. If you don’t eat whatever than what you get is what I got. He further explains, “I decided that it was best for you to have the dietary requirement rather than to have less food.” Now, because I am in a good mood and it is the castle which just puts me in a happy place and though this is a server who is consistently disappointing me, he will eventually learn that he should not decide what is best for women or anyone else. He should have provided me the option and failed. That would have given him a deduction on any tip I would have given him. I did ask for coffee instead of tea which baffled him. “This is tea.” I am not surprised. “I want coffee.” He returns with my coffee. “Do you like it?” “Yes” I respond. “It is Coffee Americano.” I don’t comment. What can I say? The first time I heard of American coffee was in Naples and if you read my bio, you shall see it. The server in Naples told me you put it through the grinder after it has already served another, with the full coffee favour and then charge twice the amount. Stupidity has finally come to Toronto. Now, I had to wait a lengthy time to get my second course if that is what you want to call it. After waiting for about 15 minutes, I ask the woman next to me if more is coming. I had heard her ask the server that earlier. “Meringue is still to come,” She states. She is with two children whose manners are so impeccable, I almost faint a few times. I wait for another five minutes and ponder if the meringue is worth waiting for or will I be once again disappointed. I share with the woman that I don’t want to wait for another half hour and she is more than welcome to the final dessert. I figured that at least one of the two boys would accept more dessert. I leave the restaurant unnoticed. I missed the part of being provided with orange juice by another server, a bit older, more experienced, who enlightened me on what the drink is called when there is liquor inside. I had turned down the liquor since I am driving, at which point he placed the orange juice down. It was actually good, better than the coffee. I only got a second cup of coffee because the water lady came by and she could see I really needed coffee (good or bad, Americano nonsense or otherwise). I am still in my happy place. After all it is Casa Loma. I walk towards the elevator and I see both my dashing waiter and the orange juice server talking. I made a good choice of not waiting at the restaurant. The elevator has a paper sheet on it saying it is out of order. So, I move back and find myself being tackled by another hired help. I managed to get my leg entangled with his and what he does to keep me balanced is get a cheap fill. He is horrified. I am wondering if I shall suffer trauma and decide no. It was an accident. The man had no intention of grabbing me where he shouldn’t. I decide to allow him to keep standing. I move towards the stairs. My mood is starting to change. Should I roar? I climb the stairs and am almost on the second floor when aghast I watch two men carrying a wheel chair up the flight of stairs. One of the men looks pleasantly at me and tell me there is no functioning elevator. I am stunned. “You should complain!” He smiles at me and I am still in mood changing decline, from terrible service to food omission not of my choosing, to cheap feel grope and now no elevator for an elderly woman whose family is carrying the wheel chair? I cringe. The men do not seem surprised that there is no elevator for them. Are they tourists? Is it the magical castle which makes everything better? My mood alters once again, feeling pleasant. I am in my beautiful castle. I go back down the stairs after seeing everything once again and being enchanted to a time before mine. I go downstairs and watch clips of movies which have been produced in the castle. Sometimes I recognize my castle watching a movie at home or otherwise, but at other times I do not. I watch the short movie clip of the history of the castle and go to the gift shop. I complain that there is no elevator for a tourist and that it is terrible. The response is that the elevator is old. Hey that is a good answer. “Was there not a sign indicating it was out of service?” The question is rhetorical. My eyes catch the cheap snow globes which surprises me. There is an abundance of them. I decide to walk to the horse stalls. I am by myself for the first time in a long time and so I can go wherever I want at my own pace. I notice that the horse stalls now have a table in each one for guests at special events. There are artificial candles emitting a soft glow. I see the greenhouse and then I notice the red carpet. Something new since the last time are the wax figures of stars who have acted at the Castle. Some are great images and others not so much. At the entrance to the wax figures is our Prime Minister Trudeau. I believe his image is not so bad. This morning news stated that more than 2000 horses have been sent to Japan since the Liberals made an election promise in 2021 to stop the practice. That was a big disappointment for me. Ok, back to the Castle. I have posted here some of the photos I have been talking about. Would I recommend High Tea at the Castle? Yes, despite everything, I do. I would check first if the elevator is working, if someone has difficulty climbing. It is the first elevator in the city if my memory serves me right. Otis #1, I do declare. The city should have an additional installed. It is unacceptable that tourists should have to carry wheel chairs up and down flights of stairs. A law suit could become more expensive. I will probably go with someone the next time so I can keep what I like to eat with no meat and give the meat to others to avoid what I actually endured this time. My other experiences of High Tea at the castle have all been wonderful. I left the Castle in good spirits. It is my castle after all. Til next time. I mention the castle in “The Internet Murders” and coffee Americano in For Love of Country: Military Policewoman . For your signed copies buy at www.silvaredigonda.ca By the way on Family Day, I actually did spend it with my immediate family who is meowing right now to get me off the computer. Oh boy…Mr Attitude…….What do you think? P.S. I shall be going to another High Tea real soon. This is one that should be closer to the real deal and I am looking forward to it. I won’t be bothering you with the details.

No comments:

Post a Comment