Tuesday 17 May 2022

My heart is in Buffalo today. White supremacy has got to go.

I was watching a program from the Salt and Light Channel which I got for free as a promotion (I get lots of those and whose complaining. Bring it on!) titled, The Francis Impact and it was after watching the news about the 18 year old white man who shot and killed so many people mostly back except for shooting two white people which probably was accidental. It was the Pope’s words that resonated with me immediately. He was referring to a boat of refugees who had died close to the border where they were seeking the dream of a new life. They all drowned. The Pope said, “We have become used to the suffering of others: it doesn’t affect me; it doesn’t concern me; It’s none of my business! In this globalized world, we have fallen into globalized indifference. This indifference is worldwide.” Those words echoed in my brain because it is so true. In many ways I understand that people need to protect themselves from the overwhelming bad news which is consistent these days. I see it here in my own city. Some how crime, has become out of control. As you know, for those of you who have been reading my blogs for awhile, I had thought we had raised above and evolved from the ignorance of prejudice. Boy, was I so wrong. It is ironic that just before learning about the slaughter at the Grocery Store in Buffalo, I was myself at the grocery store. Walking into the store I saw the cutest little girl, smiling brightly when I told her she was so cute. She was with her young mother, just as bright and happy as her child. They are black. And, actually, that little girl was probably the cutest child I had ever seen. Then after shopping and placing my groceries on my cart, a young man was about to pay for his two beers when he was asked for ID. I looked at him, and his boyish good looks and told him he should be drinking milk. With his bright respectful smile, he told me that he works out at the gym. He was fine. I realized that he did work out. As a therapist dealing with substance and alcohol abuse and knowing that it can start so young for so many reasons, I noted that he had two beers and not a case. It was the weekend, it was sunny and beautiful out. I have a habit of talking to everyone, due perhaps to always having worked in the service of others and belonging to many social groups since I was a youth. I am not what you would call shy. When I got home and later when I watched the nightly news and saw the grief in Buffalo, so close to home, I immediately thought of the young man who was at least 18, because he got the beer and that beautiful child and her mother. It could have easily have been them. People going grocery shopping, minding their own business, enjoying the day and then getting killed by a youth for merely their skin colour which is of course, just pigmentation. Ten people dead and for what? 32 to 86 years old, mostly seniors struck down. This youth travelled 300 miles after checking demographics. He was targeting a black community. A security guard who had been a policeman shot at the 18 year old but unfortunately the youth had body armour protecting him. However this retired policeman who lost his life, probably saved many others. I wonder how the young mother will have to explain prejudice to her pretty daughter? Will that brightness I saw fade as she grows older? How do we find a balance? White supremacy is all of our faults who are white. We can change. We all normally do change and hopefully it can be for the better. We need to speak up more and we need to vote for politicians who can make a difference. I was watching the leaders debate last night and felt like firing the monitors. It got out of control too many times. Politicians were talking over each other and wasting time by doing that. One leader who wouldn’t stop lost my possible vote because it was just too disrespectful. I want to know exactly what each will do, not the bashing of others. I want to know what they will do to reduce crime but much was vague. The green party seemed the most respectful and of course I am concerned about global warming. I am not trying to get off topic but it all comes together. Politics is important in making changes. We need change. Yes, I shall say it. Black lives matter. We cannot have white supremacists grooming and welcoming new disgruntled recruits. We need to disband this hatred. I want to make sure that the little girl I saw at the grocery store and the young man with the beer have the same opportunities and sense of security that I have. I have hope that we will evolve where I thought we were at but that will only happen by hunting down these “white” organizations that have platforms. It is about hate people, promoting hate and allowing that in the pretence of freedom of speech. That freedom is not freedom for all is it? We can only make our world better, if we speak up and refuse to tolerate what is obviously not right. My heart is with Buffalo and all the loss they have suffered. I am glad that the President will be going there today. That will help with the healing process which will take time. We should never get used to the suffering of others. What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment