Saturday 24 October 2020

Acute discrimination and the Asian-white mental health gap during COVID -19 by Dr Wu (notes)

I attended this one hour session provided by Dr C. Wu, Associate Professor at York University’s Department of Sociology. He stated that before the pandemic there was a low level of harassment and threats in Canada and the U.S.A. This changed. He showed a slide of an Asian woman in Vancouver (I believe it was) being punched. There have been over 2500 anti-racism incidents in the States. In Canada - over 40% report more racism. What are the consequences? When people experience racism, it could lead to higher rates of mental incidents. In China Town (downtown Toronto) a middle aged woman at the Dragon Mall started swearing at a man, calling him “a fu——-g Chinese.” There has been 30 methods of data collected in the States. Longitudinal studies depict Asian Americans having a higher level of discrimination. There is a gap between white and Asian immigrants, over time - First wave in March there was a rise in discrimination and a huge increase in mental issues. Asian and white immigrants tend to be healthier (younger/healthier). During the 2nd wave there was a decline in gap. The findings were that Asian immigrants had an increase in mental health issues. In Canada there is a similar pattern. What can be done? Group - specific mental health interventions and support in response to COVID 19 pandemic. Health professionals play a key role in countering racism and its consequences. Ensure medicine as a field continues to care for all minority communities. We need to find a way to stop all this hatred. People are born here; belong here. The Chinese community is less likely to use mental health services. In Western society we are more open to it. When President Trump calls COVID 19, the Chinese Virus there is a spike in Asian mental issues each time. Research has shown that since the outbreak, there is prejudice against Asians. In data analysis only Asians show correlation to the pandemic. Historically the Chinese were discriminated against in the States and Canada. There are historical issues and now the pandemic has worsen it. This educational piece is on U-tube and Facebook. Any errors are my own. I have a virtual meeting and a one hour educational piece regarding couples in crises and brief therapy today. Monday I have an educational day with a Professor from the States regarding racism. Next Month I will be attending 8 hours at two hour intervals regarding Ignatian spirituality. I will be sharing with you as much as possible. If you ever have questions, I am more than happy to try to answer them. I am also working on a web site with Preet to list my books/ebooks on shopify. You will be able to order my books from all over the world. I am also starting a new online calender for new clients in my private clients. I am afraid I don’t have much room or openings but since I am paying for the service, I should be using it. Take care. Tomorrow is my day of rest. Talk soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment