Monday 11 May 2020

Why are people still having problems with social distancing during this pandemic? Why not….

I have been taking this pandemic very seriously. Quite simply I don’t want to get it. I love life. There is much I want to do. My life has always sped quickly and during this phase it is not slowing down. So, I have much to live for. I love the beauty around me. I love nature. I love good company. I love good food even though I have become a vegetarian. I love animals and I respect it all. Many of us knew it was a matter of time before we would have this pandemic. Many of us know that global warming soon will not be reversible,,,,,,,,,And so the story goes. With some, unless there is a knife at their throat, do not see any danger. There are still those who believe that the world is flat. I think one is a politician. If that person got elected than he is not alone in his thoughts. However, because I love life so much, I do expect others to stay six feet away from me. I have my faults. When my neighbour’s pet comes to me, I will give him a treat and it is anticipated that I will. Others keep their pets away from me as if I have the bubonic plaque. I understand. I know pets can get Covid 19, even if they cannot transmit it to humans. However, with humans I make no exception at this moment in time to come near me. I have been good. I have only gone out for groceries. I am happy that yesterday I was able to have Krispy Kreme delivered to me. I had a discussion with a friend yesterday that when this is over, she can come over for a nice dinner. I haven’t seen her since September. She has it all planned out how to maintain social distancing while dining, I would like to wait until this is more down the road. Today they opened the store fronts; parks are now open. I am hoping to get a long walk in but what if I have to go to the bathroom? Maybe I should take my car, limit my coffee drinking, but how do I leave the house without drinking at least two cups of coffee? I almost did it today. I almost went out to my car to drive to my lovely High Park which has just opened. If you haven’t read my second book, you won’t know that when I went to high school, I would skip classes to go to High Park. I have always loved the outdoors. It must be in my second book. I have to read it again (www.silvaredigonda.com). But, then the snow began to fall and to continue to fall. I already stored away my winter clothes including my head coverings. I watched people walk along outside my window in their parka’s with their hoodies up, taking their faithful dogs for a walk. It is a new week, with a new beginning. The hardware stores are open. I have some projects planned but not until I have something done first. The insurance company said I need a new roof. It is not because I need a new roof. Insurance companies now dictate what they want you to do because they can. If you don’t do what they say, then they will eliminate coverage for whatever ……. So, I shall do that because I have other priorities. Then when it is more convenient, I shall drop them and get another company which may ask for other things. My insurance company has not decreased my rates though I have used my car once each month since the pandemic. Others had done so on their own accord and I shall go to them for insurance in future. It may be just good business but it is working for me. I loathe greed, especially during these times. I want to also help the little businesses but again this past Saturday, only two days ago, I went to a local store and I was impressed that all were maintaining social distancing. The owner also began telling a man off who was not maintaining his distance behind me or at least I think she was berating him. It wasn’t in the English language but it was not said with a smile. And then it happened. It was my turn to go to cash and wouldn’t you know it a man came beside me, he faced me and looking down at me barely two feet apart if that, he said “sorry.” Sorry???? I sprang away from him and blurted out “Six feet.” I have been so good, staying at home, walking away from people to stay six feet away and depriving myself of my freedom so I don’t get this horrid virus and then I go to get milk and bread, to have a man hovering over me and saying he is sorry. Not only that but the milk expires tomorrow. Now for sure I am not returning to that store. I know the poor owner was probably tired of raising her voice at people to maintain their distances but the area is not partitioned at all. So, until this pandemic is over, it is over, and I am back at the big stores because they have areas partitioned. They have six feet distances marked. They have their cash registers partitioned off for the safety of their employees and for me. Maybe the city needs to do spot checks throughout the city to ensure that minimum requirements are met. I know that people are demonstrating that they want everything to open, they want to get their hair done, their nails done and some don’t believe there is a pandemic. Well if you still have people believe that the world is flat, the holocaust never existed and scientists don’t know what they are talking about than why not have difficulty staying six feet away from someone? So, I will go to a park very soon and I hope that people don’t congregate because if they do, than the city will be forced to close the parks again and the stores. We can get through this pandemic but only if we work together as a team. Let’s do this. This pandemic does not discriminate. It attacks us all. You may have no symptoms at all and be a carrier. Think about that. And please stay six feet away from me so I can continue to love life and all those in my life including those I serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment