Thursday 23 April 2020

How are you doing? I am fine. Bringing you up to date with what I am up to. Some tips. Religion anyone? Nova Scotia; my sympathies. Toronto Zoo donations?

First I want to extend my sympathies to the people of Nova Scotia and all those who were affected by this tragedy considered the worse massive killing in Canada. I often hear people telling me how they want to retire in Nova Scotia and also have a wonderful neighbour from there. They want to go there because the people are friendly and the area is beautiful. So, it is quite sad when a couple who retired there was killed. Many more were killed by the man who went over the bend. The Prime Minister had asked not to name the killer or show his photo and this was ignored. The intent is well meaning but people need to know and understand and the more information is hidden, the more frustrating and confusing it may be. That this happened out East is what has disturbed many. It can be expected in the big bad city, but not in the beautiful peaceful area out East. Grieving is also difficult during normal days, but during this pandemic where people need to keep social distancing, people will grieve differently. People need to talk about how they feel and I hope they open up to each other. I hope they consult with their chaplains, therapists and community. Canada grieves with them for such a great loss. Now on a lighter note. How do you feel about the pandemic? I actually feel like I am on an extended holiday and I was trying to figure it out? After all I have been working hard. Is it because I am not seeing people in person? It has to be that. It is also because though I am a very social person, I have had to restrict it in my physical persona. How has this been for you? I have incorporated my on line practice and I intend to keep it (as well as face to face when we open up the city). Right now I have asked the Lawyers in the States, how I can extend my practise to the States. After all I am among my more than necessary associations, a clinical fellow with them. Marriage and Family therapists are recognized in many States. I understand the complications of the law here and how an electronic practise operates here in the different provinces and their regulations, and how to keep up with that side of the house. I am covered and have done a lot of research in that department with also the help of one of my associations. I charge $130.00 a session and many may think that is a lot, but there are also many who thinks it is not. One night before this pandemic and I was out dining with a friend, he brought it to my attention that a previous fellow student was charging 200 a session (who has less qualifications). I advised him, that I am aware that people at times qualify others by what they charge. I continued that anyone can afford my prices if they can afford to eat out. That is my intent, that people can afford me. They may be able to afford me weekly, bi-weekly or monthly but they can afford me. I live in a city where there are many free resources. However, I have a private practice. I can charge whatever the economy can bear. Right now that may be questionable to some who are reading this. With people suffering from mental illness, this pandemic is making it worse, because many resources have shut down. However many are also and slowly developing an on-line presence. Here are some numbers to assist you if you need the resources. Get the help you want if you need it. Toronto Residents can call 211 for mental health support numbers Ontario Price Gouging Hot line 1-800-889-9768 Those experiencing crisis may contact crisiservicescanada.ca Children may call Kids Help Line: 1-800-668-6868 or text CONNECT TO 686868 Seniors Help Line: 416-217-2077 Senior Safety Line: 1-866-299-1011 Assaulted Women’s Helpline: 1-866-863-0511 Frontline Workers Support: Contact ConnexOntario at 1-866-531-2600 Post Secondary Student Support Line: Good2talk at 1-866-925-5454 Hope For Wellness Helpline: Indigenous People may call: 1-855-242-3310 Support for Indigenous Women: Talk 4 Healing at 1-855-554-4325 COVID 19 Questions? Call Toronto Public Health 416-338-7600 Symptoms? Contact your Health Care provider or Telehealth 1-866-797-0000 for Breathing issues or other severe emergency symptoms call 911 As for myself, my rate has not risen this year but it will next year. For more info about me, check out my web site. www.redigondapsychotherapy.com Yesterday, I ventured out to do groceries. I had completely run out of fresh vegetables and fruit and needed to stock up once again. I had ordered from Costco Online and received my three packages from the five I ordered and I want to see if I get the other two before I order from them again. They showed photos of all that I had ordered coming but it hadn’t. Today I received two more photos of the same item I had already ordered. Now I am going to wait to see if I receive what I actually ordered. If so, then I shall order from them again and realize that not everything comes at once, the photos are not reliable, the delivery is not reliable but it eventually comes intact. If you call it takes one hour for someone to answer, and if you send an email, you have an automatic response that does not answer your actual question. Yes, everyone is busy and I do understand and that is why if I actually get everything, I am ok with it. I also have a security camera for proof. I am sharing this with you in case it happens to you so you are prepared, unlike I was. I did go through to the Harvey’s drive through. They are now open from 10:00 am to 10:00 pm. I loved it when they extended the hockey stick right into my car so I could tap my card and pay for my wonderful veggie burger, onion rings and fresh black coffee. The only problem was that by the time I disinfected my frozen and cold products and had them go into the fridge, my food was cold. Next time, I will eat it all either at the lot or as soon as I get home. I can always leave the items in the car with this cold weather. I really recommend Harvey’s. It never disappoints and the hockey stick well that is so Canadian which Harvey’s is. I have also had invitations on line from my Associations and Universities. I have to now decide which to attend on line. I attended the one about navigating the pandemic for the health field with York University and I will be attending another with York University next week, Psychological health in the work place. I took health psychology and I remember the Psychologist speaking about how he examined work places for issues that arose and his findings. I found him quite interesting. He also gave a fifteen minute relaxation technique for us in class and handed it out. I use it to this day for clients who are extremely stressed. It works for most, however not for those suffering extreme anxiety. With those, I have them practise breathing to calm them down or use a tad of mindfulness for them to calm down and to practise on their own. University of Toronto also send out an invitation to us alumni for a module which will last about six hours. I registered but haven’t heard back. The best about all this, is that it is being provided for free and I can use it for education hours. I did pay for a two hour education for “Couples that play together, stay together.” That is on next Friday. I talked about play and couples last year which was discussed with one psychologist who was doing research on the topic at that Guelph University seminar I had so much fun at. I have to slam on the breaks because I am doing too much. So I have to turn down invitations. The American Association of Family Therapy also offered three free courses, but I have already heard one speaker for an entire day here at a conference. The other two, I again have experience with. As you know I am always trying to grow and learn more which at times is difficult because there is a lot of repetition. So, whenever I get the opportunity for some new research or advancement, I am in. I have also been attending a weekly one hour gathering on line with the Canadian Association of Marriage and Family Therapy. We discuss self and client care. It is wonderful connecting with therapists across Canada and seeing ourselves in our environments with our children poking their heads in and waving or our pets sitting on our laps or being invited in. This is much less formal than our gatherings at conferences. It is all rather fun and I continue to make this weekly session a priority. I was also invited by another association to do something similar but I can only do so much and had to decline with an explanation. I normally stick to what I start. This group also wants to start a reading event, but I already belong to “The Sister of Crime” (which men also belong to). We are all writers and so I am going to attend their webinars as much as possible. I had to stop writing because of all these changes which left me with little imagination time. They are offering two webinars which I am really interested in. One will be with a Forensic Psychologist and another will be about how to be motivated to write in the pandemic. I really need to get that in somehow. Word on the Street may be cancelled this year, however, if it is not, it will be a two day event. York University has shut down it’s annual show case for two years. This was decided before the pandemic. There are new people in charge and with the new, the old ideas go out and new ideas come in. It’s all good, though I shall miss selling my books there. If you are interested in buying or downloading my books, feel free to do so. I always appreciate feedback. www.silvaredigonda.com I have pretty well brought you up to date. I have skipped religion so here goes. This Saturday at 4:00 pm there real be a live broadcast of Ramadan (Muslim Religion). You can sign up on line or just go to the site to watch it live at the time I gave you. The site is VIRTUALRAMADAN.CA . As for myself being Roman Catholic, I have been watching the Pope providing mass from the Vatican. He is a Jesuit and I studied with the Jesuits. There are also virtual masses being provided by different churches, my own included, but I like sticking with the Pope. Someone told me that there are churches in the States that are encouraging their parishioners to assemble in person in certain churches and that they will be protected by God. This is not true. Just think that God gave you free choice. That means he gave you a brain and allows you to think for yourself and make your own choices. You can suffer the consequences of that choice. So for now, stay well. Eat well. Decide what you want to do with this time. If you have any questions do not hesitate to ask. Oh, I almost forgot. The Toronto Zoo has asked for donations. It costs one million dollars a year to feed these beautiful creatures who bring such joy to not only to us living in Toronto but to all the tourists. Usually the parking fees and entrance fees cover the expenses but the zoo has been closed as is everything else around here not essential. The animals need to be protected from the virus as well. Please if you can afford it, donate some money. You can donate on line or call them and do it on the phone. That is one place I want to return to once this pandemic pauses. Take care. Have a good week. Stay strong.

No comments:

Post a Comment