Monday 19 August 2019

Precious Blood Catholic Church in Scarborough

It has been a while since I wrote about my visiting churches. Sometimes the sermons are difficult to listen to, so it was refreshing to visit Precious Blood at 1737 Lawrence East. The mass began with us being asked to greet each other. I turned to my left and a man provided me with a sincere warm smile. I looked around and the smiles continued. I thought this was a wonderful start. We got to actually see who we were sitting with. The sermon was also inspiring. The Pastor spoke of poverty, how it will increase (don’t I know it), and provided a talk about a region in South America which has so much poverty. The Bishop (correct me if I am wrong) helped the poor which the politicians liked, however when he held them responsible for the poverty, they did not like that (my words; not his). His sermon made me think about how clergy has been killed not only in South America but other parts of the world when trying to help their poor and repressed. My heart went to the people of Hong Kong and my thoughts went to China telling us we should mind our own business. I think not. What I liked about the sermon was that it stimulated thought. We were not told about what to do or what to think. We were left in thoughtful poise. I looked up at a photo of Fr Pio at the front right side of the church, who loved the poor. He bore the stigmata. I watched a documentary about him and a film and recommend it. After mass there was coffee and treats, which I love. I noticed the Pastor speaking to everyone. What I also noticed for the first time in my case that there was no request for money for the treats. I can’t remember that. Nor, is coffee and treats available at all churches which is a shame because it brings the community together. Often those who cannot afford treats may be left behind. I thought they had a wonderful selection and I noticed one woman with about four children and was pleased that regardless if the woman could afford it or not, she and her children could enjoy their treats. I left the parish feeling refreshed and wishing there were more of this substance. It is a lovely big church with lots of parking. I also learned something at treat time. One of the Italian women I met, told me that Victoria Park separates East York from Scarborough. The Church is on the South side, just East of Victoria Park. If you are wanting to become a Catholic, they have studies there for that and I would definitely recommend that church. What do you think? (Theology is a definite interest for me. People who go for therapy range from a variety of religions, spirituality and cultures. I am so fortunate to be exposed to so many interesting people and ideas).

No comments:

Post a Comment