Tuesday 9 July 2019

From Crayons to Perfume - To Sir With Love

I have been so fortunate to have known wonderful men and Chief Elliott, was definitely one of the best. Not only was he intelligent, nurturing and dignified, he was a gentleman. My mother once said that she noticed all the men I had as friends were gentle. She was right. I never cared for the loud mouths, arrogant men who demeaned others due to their own frustations and inferiorities. We all have to tolerate people we may not choose to socialize or work with because that is the nature of life. However, when we surround ourselves with people who are positive, and generous in spirit, we are fortunate. Chief Elliott was one of those men. Chief Elliott was a man's man. I don't think there has ever been a time, that he asked something of me and I did not comply. Though I have been retired many years since working for him, he could still pick up the phone and ask me to visit a sick military man and I would respond immediately. He never asked for himself and I suppose he knew that if he had I would have responded immediately. I knew Chief Elliott when he was the youngest Chief. He was offered his commission and he declined. He led men and women with dignity. I was very green when I met Chief Elliott. He is responsible for grooming me into who I have become. He is not alone in that. I have been fortunate to have been groomed by others. None who have ever showed any disrespect or treated me any different than he would have a man. I knew that if we were sent into a fight, I better stand my ground. I knew if my partner bled, I better be bleeding. I knew that when doing my work, he would support me 100%. How many can say that? Goodbye my old friend. You shall certainly be missed, especially by me. You were one of the greatest in my life. If anyone who knew him wants to know about his funeral arrangements please let me know and I shall forward the email I recieved which contained the information I have pasted for you. To Sir With Love. I salute you.

No comments:

Post a Comment