Tuesday 15 May 2018

Tid bit stats dementia

I attended a meeting last week where a representative provided an hour talk about dementia and Alzheimer’s. I found that there were some discrepancies regarding natural aging and dementia and I only spoke out politely providing resources when I saw some from the audience looking confused and worried that they may have dementia. I will only provide the statistics that was relayed. I have written much about the topic and you may look back at earlier blogs. One of my underground psych courses was focused on aging and the natural changes. Feel free to look all that up. I know I am behind on school notes but I think it is also important to relay the latest information as I receive it during conferences etc….. I have much to write about so please bear with me. Due to some of the errors I noticed from the speaker, I will not be revealing who the speaker was or the organization. Suffice to say that was no affiliation to a university. 47.5 million people world wide suffer Reversable : delirium, depression, thyroid or heart disease, drug interaction, alcohol abuse, malnutrition. Irreversible is Alzheimer's disease, vascular dementia, Pick’s disease, Lewy Body Dementia; patient will continue to decline. Hereditary for dementia is 5%. One in 11 people over 65 have Alzheimer’s and other Dementias. 15% are under the age of 65. Numbers are expected to double or triple. Next I will like to write about what I heard at the Deerhurst Resort. I was very impressed and I went a long way to hear a Psychiatrist and Neurologist speak about the brain and creativity. Of course though Muskoka is a long way for me, there were quite a few people from across Canada and some from the States. Have a wonderful week. www.redigondapsychotherapy.com www.silvaredigonda.com (I write for fun. There is no connection to my practice.)

No comments:

Post a Comment