Tuesday 22 May 2018

The Royal Wedding

I tape everything I want to watch on television and that included the 7 hour program of Prince Harry and the new Duchess. I did wake up at 336 in the a.m. I looked at the time, thought for a second and laid my self right down again saying no and falling fast asleep. When I re-awoke at a decent hour, I made coffee and sat myself down prepared to see the wedding. It was the first time, I actually taped a royal wedding. I had caught glimpses of others, mostly on the media news. However, this one was special. I had been at the gym a few days earlier, and an elderly woman was remarking on how horrible it was that the bride to be was divorced. I thought she would blow a casket if I had informed her she was also bi-racial. I wasn’t in the mood to provide first aide so I reminded her of what century it is and that I was really going to the gym to relax and not listen to hatred remarks. She attacked me later but that is ok. I have big shoulders and am very secure about myself. I could have been gentler but I do tire of hearing about hatred because I see how many people suffer because of it. I also realize that silence about hateful views only allows it to fester and grow. As I was drinking my coffee and watching the program I had wished that I had taped an alternate channel, but it was too late. The commentators were talking over each other and trying to guess what everyone at the church was saying. It was their own sarcasm rather than actually trying to know. It was as if they were trying to fill in 7 hours of talking regardless of what the content was. There would be a remark about one person and another was actually being shown. Then the worse happened. One commentator began talking about how many or lots (whatever that subjectivity means) of Londoners who are not happy and then tv silence (thank God). She never was permitted to pour forth hate. I was thankful vowing never to tape anything important from this network again. That evening I taped the afterward comments from an American channel. I marvelled at this wedding. The bride was beautiful and the groom enchanting. I saw two people in love and it was wonderful. The bishop from the States gave a splendid talk. He spoke of Martin Luther King and Teilhard de Chardin, my favourite Jesuit, whom I enjoyed studying. Both men gave so much, and Martin Luther KIng - well I wished he could have seen this wedding. Perhaps he did from up above. Though one commentator remarked that 14 minutes was too long or words to that effect expecting a response. An eloquent response was provided from the sole male commentator. He said the Bishop had a platform and was provided with an opportunity. I agreed. His strongest message to me was - love. It is often one of the questions I ask in couple therapy. Is there love? When there is, I am pleased that I have a couple who really want to make their marriage work. When there is not, I work with the couple to try to re-capture that essence. Sometimes, it is re-ignited and sometimes one partner does not really want to work on the problems. Sometimes there are ulterior motives. However, on this day, as I sit drinking my coffee and heating up some scones (I do love high tea), I marvel at how love can indeed bring couples together and families together and countries together. I am savouring the power of love. I am marvelling at the leadership of the Royal family. They have taken a stand. They have united cultures and said good bye to prejudice. I listen to my favourite “Ave Maria” and I silently dance to “Stand By Me”. I am revitalized. I watch the facial expressions of the audience and I chuckle. I listen to the bishop and I chuckle. I actually chuckled frequently and I marvel at the crowds who flock for what appears to be endless rows. I doubt there are any haters within that happy crowd. I applaud them, because I could not even roll myself out of bed until a proper hour. Had I been able to, I would have gladly attended one of the royal celebrations in Toronto, who provide of course a proper “high tea” (I cheat and insist on coffee. So far it has always worked.) In my third book, I mention high tea. I could easily have high tea every week or bi-weekly if there was something around the corner. Excuse me for dwelling on high tea. This Royal wedding, promises change and therefore hope, that love can accomplish so much and that love is so much more powerful than hate. I wish this couple so many good wishes. I wish the duchess a long and happy life with her prince and of course - Long live the Queen.

No comments:

Post a Comment