Monday 13 November 2017

Tid bits from depression talk and update

I have been attending conferences, fairs etc……and want to record what I think is important for you and me. So I am recording my notes and thus I provide them for you as well. As you know I have received, “The Internet Murders” which I wrote for fun. I began reading my own book. There is something exciting about reading a book you have written. I am also moving from my existing office to a new location about 10 minutes away (if you are walking). If I am repeating myself, that is ok, because if someone does not read it the first time, they may read it another time. I do want to write about the play I saw for educational reasons but not today. I write out my notes and for you who may not know, writing notes rather than typing them, helps to retain in memory. So my grey cells work better when I write which I will continue to do. I also type my notes afterwards as you all know and then cut and paste it here for you. I have been toying with what my next book should be. I have decided. It will disappoint a friend of mine but I will write about two old ladies solving crimes with humour another time - bucket list. What my next book will be is about psychotherapy and couple and family therapy. This will serve two purposes. First the College likes it and I gain points for writing. Second and not necessarily in this order, I will be able to offer this book for sale to anyone who wants to read it and gain knowledge on some self care and understanding themselves and others to improve relationships and understand them. If there is a publisher interested …….I am here. Finally, I often have clients ask to recommend a book and I only do if I have read it myself or seen a documentary regarding the author. I normally recommend that people check the qualifications of the author who is writing. Of course some people like to tell their story. I often recommend to clients who suffer to write a journal or their life story but to see their therapist if something is triggered. I have found that people who have suffered trauma have memories stirred which were forgotten and I recommend to stop writing and to bring those feelings to the therapy room to work on. Sometimes, forgotten joys are also remembered. This I have found offers comfort. Now for tidbits from a fair lecture I attended. Beating the Blues - Depression and Seasonal Depression in Later Life by Susan Well, MSW, RSW. 14% to 20% of elderly people living in the community experience depression symptoms and 40% in long term care. 3% to 5% experience SAD and 10% to 15% at clinical levels. This happens in the winter when our exposure to much needed sun diminishes. There are lamps for this and she mentioned that they can be bought at Costco. I actually saw it at Costco before this fair and almost blinded myself when turning it on. I have never used one myself so make sure you read the instructions and not play with it. I would do some research if I were you before buying a product, to ensure it will meet your needs. Well, though the lecture was about 90 minutes, the rest was refresher for me and though I asked for the slides, I never got it. Oh well. If you do find yourself getting depressed, let your doctor know. When I see clients who are sad, I try to help them determine why. Sometimes, it is obvious such as a death in the family, a sudden diagnosis of an illness, a break up etc….Sometimes, it requires more reflection. Sometimes people don’t even know they are suffering from depression. Are you? Are you lethargic? Are you isolating yourself etc…? There is help. What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment