Thursday 5 October 2017

Networking day - Professional Development

Yesterday I drove to Hamilton Ontario for six hours of ongoing professional education. Another certificate to file for proof that I attended. If I covered my wall with such certificates, people would think I am bragging. If I ever move and get a home office, I will do that though, just to remind me of everything I have done. However, in my office, I like to keep it simple. I found Hamilton to be quite beautiful and the hospital was in the mountains somewhere and I was quite pleased that my sibling had given me the gift of gps. I may have been going in circles, but I got there. Beautiful water views and traffic is a no brainer compared to the nightmare in Toronto. One of the speakers from a Toronto Theology University shared how in her psychology undergrad at a university I will not name was very opposed to any questions about God or theology. Of course I raised my hand and mentioned that at my university at York University, though ten years later I did not find that. We also offered psychology and religion. I also remember a professor teaching when out of the blue he talked about the universe. He said that though everything is all in order, throw something in that order and you have chaos. "How can that not have to do with God?" He asked rhetorically or words to that effect. The next speaker also teaching from a theological viewpoint, hence her college, spoke of being confused regarding viewing pastoral/spirituality as a separate module rather than encompassing the whole. Perhaps because I am in private practice only, it is much easier for me to comprehend spirituality as a separate modality. In being able to practice therapy, one must first be able to face own biases and subjectivity and be able to focus on the client and their own subjectivity. For me it is about assessing each individual on their own merit, belief system etc....However, that does not separate me from myself and who I am. The focus is on the client and not on myself. I must be able to separate myself from myself so to speak. The first professor responded to my going to a Toronto University and professors would be more inclined to be open to religion due to the diversity of the people and religions in Toronto. I have been pondering that. Are we that closed minded if we do not come from a diverse city? I would like to disagree. I think that perhaps it was the biases that prevented her professors from keeping an open mind. Education should encourage thought and questions and who the educator is and his or her own biases may prevent the growth of those who study and learn from them. You do not have to believe in God to discuss God or answer a question relating to God. How can you help people if you disregard what is important to them? I have been honoured to have had clients with such a wide spectrum of diversity. I have been fortunate to have travelled and worked with amazing people. When any professor waves a question away casually, it may be time for re-evaluation. Of course these same professors may have a different perspective at this time. We learn by questioning. What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment