Monday 2 May 2016

Update, life, hospital tid bit, telephone counselling anyone? New benefit for veterans in Canada! What do you think?

Well, I have been on a roll recently. I have been going to Montreal once a month and though I always wonder what it would be like to have a practice there because I love the European feel, not speaking French is a problem that would be career suicide. That is too bad. Yes, I know that I can learn the French language. Actually when someone speaks European French, it is amazing how much I understand. However, I need to be fluent to be able to understand everything a client states and that is not the case with the French language. Therefore, as I explore my options for change, I keep stationed here enjoying all Toronto has to offer. It has a lot. But, returning from Montreal, I want to share an experience I thought was wonderful in a hospital there. It is St Mary’s Hospital and in their cancer care, they have volunteers who actually bring tea or coffee in authentic china tea cups with cheese and cookies to patients and their visitors. I have never witnessed that before and saw first hand, the benefits it has for patients as one examined the Royal emblem twirling the cup around and around as a new discovery. He smiled at me and said that he was told if he dropped it, it was ok; they would replace it. He could relax without fear of damaging anything and I saw the difference, how one small act of kindness and indulgence is so helpful for patients and family. I also noticed that the staff there are happier than what I see here in Toronto. Recently I watched a program of the news station,“Market Place” an investigative program I tape faithfully, reported finding uncleanliness in hospitals due to a decrease in cleaning staff. Physicians have also been angrily demonstrating at Queens Park and though I don’t normally pay attentions to protests, I did pay attention this time. What is Ontario doing to save money in health care? My dreams of ever seeing psychotherapy being part of OHIP faded in the dust. I know that there are many people who can pay for therapy and do not because they are used to a health system that is no cost. I consider physical and mental heath on equal par. Listening to the rage of physicians speaking out against the present conditions was startling and I had to wonder about the difference in the less stressed medical hospital I was visiting and the norm here at home. However, my opinion is only that. Spending a day in a hospital once a month does not provide the entire picture even though I certainly like the area. Now some tid bits which I read from SAGE, The National Association of Federal Retirees Magazine. Spring edition, P 37. There is a new benefit from Veterans Affairs Canada for an annual tax-free grant of $7,238 meant for veterans to get the care they need when their caregiver (“informal” such as a spouse, over 18 years of age) requires some time for self care. There are restrictions to this benefit. There must be a disability award where you require assistance by the informal caregiver with “most” of daily living functions for at least one year. You must not be a permanent resident in a long term facility or nursing home. For more information if you are not familiar with this benefit and you are a veteran and think you are eligible please call 1-866-522-2122. You may also contact Veteran Affairs www.veterans.gc.ca/eng. Other tid bit: p 16 Sage: Research has established that people with higher levels of education have a reduced risk of developing Alzheimer’s disease. Now that is a reason to go back to school (kidding). Recently I was at a seminar about Pope Francis and what he is doing for the Church and the resistance he is getting. I think the world is aware and so I won’t be talking about it unless I get a request. I met a delightful 84 year old (or was she 82 or 86) who is in a Masters Program of Theology. Her reason was that she wanted education to keep her alert and free from alzheimer’s. “I heard you are as sharp as a whip” I declared. She gave me a big wholesome smile and said, “yes.” It is never too late to go back to school!!!!! I have another busy week and then I hope to slow down. However, I love seminars, conferences and do not consider that work. I have room for more clients and am seriously considering telephone counselling as I am noticing that there are many remote areas out there that may need a therapist because there are none in their area or there is a concern about confidentiality. So far I had refused this as a norm but have reconsidered because I see that there is a need for people who do not want to be seen right here at home. So take care of yourselves, give your self quiet time, have someone to talk to and start a new page in your life. What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment