Wednesday 16 March 2016

Religion, Spirituality and Health Previous Lecture attended - Speaker Dr Koenig MD

Dr Koenig wrote a handbook of Religion and Health, 1st ed Oxford. University Press, 2012. I mentioned attending his lecture before, but I don’t believe I had his notes handy. I am typing all my notes and so why not share it with you. Some time ago I attended a lecture when Dr Koenig, an American Physician, was in Toronto. I wrote about him at that time but I did not include these notes. Dr Koenig lectured that Religious involvement is related to less depression, and faster recovery from depression. This stemmed from 272 of 444 studies (61%) 67% of best; more depression (6%). In one Canadian Study, Those who attended religious services at least monthly in 1994 were 22% less likely to develop major depression, compared to those who did not attend. There is a lot of research suggesting that religion is correlated with better health - longitivtiy is seven years longer if caucasian and 14 years longer if African American. His latest book is “Health and Wellbeing in Islamic Societies where he compares all religions.” Dr Koenig suggests taking a spiritual history, respect values, and identify spiritual needs. Ensure that some one meets a patient’s spiritual needs. “Religions is like the elephant in the room that no one talks about”. What I found interesting was to hear that 40% of all general physicians say they would quit if they could afford it. A part of nursing in the States is spirituality. Regarding Veterans - important was loss of faith. Check out Berntson et al (2008) Annals of behavioural Medicine 35(2)198-208 (CV) I think if I was sick in the USA I would go to John Hopkins since it is considered the best hospital there. Tid bits - More religious don’t lose memory as quickly. Among religious, cortisone levels are lower. I would recommend you buy his books if you want to learn more about the topic. Have a nice weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment