Wednesday 8 October 2014

This is to all veterans and emergency response personnel. If you are feeling suicidal, please remember that if you can get over this hump, you will look back and know that would not have been the right decision. You can overcome this overwhelming emotional turmoil.

Yesterday was a day off and I went to watch a movie after doing what I call domestic duties, such as banking, mail, etc.... It was my brain rest. When I returned I received a phone call which had me reflecting this morning. It has nothing to do with what I am going to talk about here, but it is an analogy of sorts. Too many police, military, etc..... have no one to talk to. Things happen and slowly it builds up. With some of you family is enough of support and family is at times not enough. With others, you do not want your name affiliated with any insurance company as going for help. So where do you go? Where do you go where your identity and not only your information is kept Confidential. You do not want your peers to know, because you do not want to be rediculed or considered weak. You do not want your work to know because you do not want to be considered a risk. So where do you go? You let this build up and fester and no one understands. You open your mouth and it is used against you. I know there are many loops for you to get around to get the help you need. I do have to report by law if you are going to kill yourself. But I have to believe that you will really kill yourself. If you are going for help, and writing up a contract that you will promise not to kill yourself, then I will believe you and will work with you. If you are going to tell me that you are going to hurt someone, then I have a duty to report. However, I also know that at times people say things they don't really mean, because they are hurting. If you are hurting children, I will report that. I have an obligation to protect them. However, perhaps it is time to report that and get some help in that area as well. So, before you look for a final exit. Stop! Give yourself a break. Your identity will be protected. Give me a chance to work with you so you can get back on your feet and look at other choices. Why not choose to live? What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment