Tuesday 11 March 2014

What a beautiful day. It is also Lent. Have you given up anything, you Catholics out there?

Yesterday, when I was returning home, my neighour called out to me and I sat with him on his porch, as we soaked in the better weather and caught up with our lives. He is an Author of reputable status and I always enjoy time with him and his wife. They are two blessings in my life. Today being very aware of tomorrow's snow storm or should I say this evening, I decided to stop at Dairy Queen to have a Banana Split with whip cream (she forgot the cherries on top). I sat on the picnic bench outside, soaking in the sun. After our freezing temperatures, enjoying a Split outside in a few degrees above zero, is enchanting. Normally, I do not do this until the summer, but this winter has gone on forever and so why not celebrate a beautiful day that promises to disappear by nightfall. One of the great things about my city is that it is ok to have ice cream outside at a picnic table in the winter. That is mundane compared to what happens in my beautiful city. I came home and called a dear friend to wish him a Happy Birthday. I have been doing doing a lot of thinking as usual and this Sunday while listening to the homily, I realized that I did not give up anything for Lent. Normally, I give up a food choice. I already had my pizza and I was going to spend the afternoon being treated by a friend for coffee and desert. The elderly priest spoke about praying the rosary. I thought about that and nodded to myself yes. What else could I do, since I did not really consider that a deprivation or sacrifice. The priest talked on and he said television and computers. I love movies. Computers I do not love so much. I use a computer because I must. You cannot have one business, let alone two and not have a computer. So, my thoughts returned to what I love. I love movies. If I have a tiresome or difficult day, I may come home and watch a movie in the afternoon. I may even pick a day with friends to watch movies. Can I give up all tv? Yes, but I decided to just give up any form of television until the six oclock news. I tape everything for the week, as I have mentioned before and so I watch two hours of news with CTV and City Pulse. I fast forward if anything is too repititious and I fast forward all sports. So technically, I do not watch two hours of news because I do speed watching. Many evenings in winter if nothing is planned, I do like to watch a movie or show. The summer is different of course because I like to be outside. My fantasy is an outdoor movie space. So rosary every morning. No more movies which I really enjoy during the day. No mid-day movie at the theatre. Have you given up something for Lent? Baby steps. I find that sometimes when people are very sad, they look for truth or answers in their church of origin. Sometimes they look for answers to other religions and sometimes they become prey for cults because they are so vulnerable. Religious cults are very prominent. Be careful that you do not become a victim of one. This week why not examine your theology and your spirituality? Do you know who you are? Do you know why you belong to the religion that you do? If you are a Roman Catholic have you given up anything for Lent? Why and how do you define yourself as Roman Catholic? If you were in a Castle like Therisa's, which room would you be in in relation to God? Remember that health is a priority in anything you consider. What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment