Thursday 13 March 2014

It is not so nice out there.........burrrrrrr paper war............Even birds are flying South with the planes - Read any good books?

I completed reading, The Informer. Confessions of an Ex-Terrorist by Carole de Vault with William Johnson. When I picked up the book which I received from a local high school that was discarding their books, I thought it would be about terrorism in the Middle East. It was about terrorism here at home, in the province of Quebec. Even though I heard about the FLQ, I was too young to understand. I was more concerned about having fun and dancing than politics, happening so far from where I lived.I was also very self absorbed. I was sent to Montreal to work for a short assignment in my twenties and there was a feeling of being unwanted, with Ontario Plates on my vehicle. I couldn’t understand why I was not being served in a restaurant and I could not understand why my two colleagues who spoke the French language, refused to do so. I did get served by utilizing my elementary French from a few years in grade school and with the appropriate tone of voice. That was not my only experience of negativity. I experienced it again in Ottawa, but it was not tolerated. However, I was surprised at the misplaced anger. Reading this book, I am sad for that time and for the author who had informed on her contacts and rightly so. Violence should never be tolerated. Killing people, placing bombs and explosives to bring about attention, should never be accepted. Unfortunately the author had to change her name and identity after losing her friends and being betrayed by those she depended to help her. I would like to think that the government she had helped, did protect her somehow in having a new identity and place to start living anew. It is women who like her that should not be condemned but hailed. That is what I felt as I read her story. I not only read her story, I read about violence. I read about violence in my country which I am glad I did not witness. Killing is never justifiable to get a point across. Terrorism is terrorism. It is the ultimate act of cowardliness. This morning as I looked out at the beautiful coat of white, I could feel the chill, though I knew it was my imagination. The heat is blaring from where I sit. I looked up at some black birds flying South West and thought that was a good idea. Then I saw a plane flying South East and I wondered why I was still here. Should I too go South? What do Snow birds do? They go South in the winter and return home in summer? How does that work? Just last week I was invited to Florida. I cannot. My pets do not like people so getting a pet sitter is out of the question. Well one of them do not like people. The other who wasn't as abused is coming around. Canada will always be my home and Toronto will always be my hometown. It is like having parents; they will always be your parents even when it is time to leave the nest. If this weather does not change maybe it is time to fly, pets and all. What do you think? Where do you live? Where would you like to live? Where do you think the best place to live is, where they speak English that is. Well?

No comments:

Post a Comment