Friday 29 November 2013

Two Veterans commit suicide - Veteran out there please get help. Do not kill yourself.

    I was going to write today about my seminar yesterday, about Mississauga, about Christmas and about a hoarder the news broadcasted, who is sleeping on his porch with his cats while his house is being cleared of debris and his belongings.   I was going to write about how the community is complaining.  Not one person was interviewed who had anything good to say.  Not one has offered him a place to sleep or is assisting him.  They are simply embarrassed or annoyed or whatever.  I was not impressed with his neighbours.  Here is a man who needs help and is not getting it.  However,  I have just finished reading my emails and what was sent to me from a retiree is something about shame on Canada and the news that two veterans have killed themselves.

     Christmas though a happy occasion for some is devastating to others.  That is why I never take holidays during the Christmas season.  It is when people kill themselves.  One veteran who kills himself, is one too many.

     There is a lot of hoopla for veterans when they become crippled and when they die.  We have our Highway of Hero's to honour them.  What do we have for those who are alive?  What do we do for those who appear physically healthy?

    I had a personal friend, a priest who served loyally for over 20 years in the military.  He was also in the Persian Gulf War.  I was at his Parade when he received his medals.  I was there when he told me how a priest was killed in South America for defending two youths who were imprisoned.  The youths however were released because of him and the mother thanked him, by dictating that it was his job (the priest) to die for his vocation.  There was no concern that he had died defending her son.  There was no need to die.  My friend had a story to tell and I always encouraged him, to tell it for the world, to know.
     I was there when he suffered because of those too young to die affected him.  I was there to encourage him to take a weapon to defend himself.  Clergy have a choice to carry arms.  Or at least then.  So many things have changed and I have been told that I am fortunate to have been spared the changes.
   
    I was there when he became ill with Lou Gerhrig's disease which killed him but not until it ravaged his body.   He had to be hospitalized. He told me he wanted to go to Sunnybrook Hospital as a veteran but they had told him no.  I was stunned.  I had been at a retiree meeting years ago where they said that veterans were dying and were wondering what the hospital would  do with that wing.  It was built for veterans.  I contacted the hospital and the same was re-iterated as my old friend had told me.  I couldn't believe it and I contacted Veteran Affairs.  I  was told that because he was not a veteran from a World War, he did not qualify.  I argued that it was not right and the person I talked to agreed with me.  This man was abandoned by the government.  There was nothing I could do.  The last time I saw him was Christmas day last year.  I always made a point of visiting him at Christmas.  He had no family here.  I told him I had wrote to some editor about him being rejected by Sunnybrook and he replied, "good."  He added,  "the military taught us how to live among the people."  That is why he chose to be on the floor where he was among the people, rather than other priests.  But in his heart he wanted to be with other veterans.  His death was very upsetting to me.  He was much older than me.  He was the brother I never had.

       If you are a veteran out there and feel alone, please be aware that you are not alone.  I know how much you have sacrificed for your country.   I also know how you may feel alone or abandoned by those you have protected.  There is no job out there that sacrifices more of one self.  You are not alone. There are people who are you.  Find the person you need to talk to.  If one rejects you, find another.  No one should suffer their pain alone.  The services in place may be inadequate but there is such a place and such a person...........find him or her.  And Canada, "Shame on you."

No comments:

Post a Comment