Friday 22 November 2013

Book sale at Show Case, York University

     My book sale at York University was fun as usual.  I re-connected with people I know.   I saw quite a few pictures of new babies. I also met some new interesting people. The woman who sat next to me this year was selling her art. I loved her bright cheerful colours. The islands influenced her work. Her husband is also an author and he is just as interesting. He is a retired professor and is also writing his second book. He however donates all his proceeds to a Lepercy foundation. I cannot afford to do this even though 10 percent would be my objective, if it was affordable. It costs so little to cure so many young people and prevent such a devestating desease from damaging and crippling so many people. Yet it is not being done. It is rather sad.  In some countries it is hidden from the world.  Our country could do more to pressure these countries.  What is that called?  Politics?   I did not know it was a problem in India as well.  He was not selling his book this year, but I shall buy it next year when he brings copies. My book is nothing so serious. I wrote it for fun in two months. My second book is more serious and it is most unfortunate that I always have to put it aside. Soon I will be sending off the final documentations for two Associations that I belong to. Then I will prepare for the new college. If I could have two weeks just to myself in the middle of nowhere land,  I could finish this book. Life gets in the way. However, I love all that I do and am constantly re-organizing my schedule and time. I go to York University once a year to sell my book, but more importantly I get re-energized by the people I meet. York is a fun place, full of interesting people. I love talking to the students, professors and staff equally. It is days like that I feel tempted to return to academia but I want to stay firm.  I was also asked how I am enjoying retirement. I reply that it is busy. To the University of Toronto, I return twice a year unless it is for a conference. I volunteer once a year as my way of giving back at my college book sale. I enjoy greeting the people into our building and hearing their stories. There are so many interesting people who enter and the topic is books, what they are studying or teaching and what brings them to the college. I also attend their culture night held in January. The artistic songs, playing of instruments, comedy and dance from both the students and professors always leaves me in awe. I am so fortunate to be an ulumni from both universities. I have learned so much from both. At Guelph University I took only one course that I needed and it too was nice. I really enjoyed the food in their cafeteria. It would be nice to check out each university and take one course just to compare. Now I must begin my day. Thank you for reading my blogs. What do you do? Are you happy doing it? What can you change to find something you like to do? What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment