Tuesday 24 September 2013

I am back.........bringing you up to date

I want to thank you for your patience. I have been busy writing papers etc.... My fee is now $100.00 for a 50 minute hour. I have also been at the Oakwood Fairbanks fair and last Sunday's Word on the Street. Saturday was spent at a conference with the Ontario Association of Family Therapy regarding the new college of psychotherapy set to be in force for April. There are many exciting changes (in my opinion). I am planning to return to my writing for fun beginning tomorrow morning. It is a hobby which I love. During the weekend I was surrounded by very serious writers. I was surrounded by mystery writers, vampires and fantasy. Then there was me with my little book, "Hey Guy Buy Me." My day was made when a young woman who bought my book last year approached me and told me she liked my style of writing. I informed her that my next two books would be a different style but that did not stop her from being nice and saying that she was looking forward to my next book. Another author also bought my book and I found that very complimentary. He read it and corrected it promptly. I learned a lot watching seasoned authors sell their products. Did you know that it is good to stand? I do not know who decided that? I don't think it is a good idea to stand and tower over a shorter person. In counselling I do not tower over my clients. I am an equal party, with the same uncomfortable or comfortable chair. Eventually, I hope to have a sofa and choice is always offered to the client. That seems like such a contradiction. But I saw how effective it was in selling books. I heard the same lines which I initially thought was original. I just want to write for fun and hopefully sell some but a sales person I am not. I shall continue to sit so my book lovers can stare down at me and not vice versa. That is until I can sit no more. But I did get a lot of advice and tips and I am grateful that the seasoned writers even acknowledged me, let alone try to help me along. I was motivated however by authors and readers alike, especially my only fan that made my day. I wrote, "Hey Guy Buy Me" for pure fun. My second book is in progress with many interruptions. November I will be attending a two day conference which I am very excited about. Topics will include Helping Couples recover from Infidelity, Sex starved Marriage, Divorce Busting: Restoring Hope to "On the Brink" Couples, Couples Therapy with Individuals and of course more information about the new College of Registered Psychotherapists. Today I saw a hand written note advertising counselling and diagnosis with no qualifications what so ever listed. I am so happy that after the college is in effect people none qualified to practise will not be able to do so. This has been something that bothered me since undergrad when I first heard that anyone could hang a shingle. The college is protection for the public. With all the scams out there today, it is about time that the government takes more responsibility to protect the public.

No comments:

Post a Comment