Saturday 26 January 2013

Culture Night at my old school

     When I began my Masters Program at UofT in January rather than September, I didn’t know anyone.  I found myself leaning against a wall at my first function.  It was Culture night.  People would approach me and introduce themselves and everyone made me feel quite at home.  I had brought Apple Pie, as part of my culture contribution.  Is it really part of my culture?  It is if I love it so.   I think that later years I brought Panetone, an Italian delight, normally sold at Christmas. 
     After graduating, I was still invited and so last night I returned after picking up my favourite Professor and taking him to the function.  This 80 year old man has a quick spirit and mind.  His body however is a walking miracle.  At least that is how he refers to his still being alive.  With all the ailments this man has, it must be his amazing brain that keeps him going.  And so he should, because he has so much to offer students.  This man worked me to death and life was never my own when I took one of his courses.  He is a legend.  I then took another course with him and wondered if I was a masochist.  I learned so much from this man.  And so I do not mind hanging out with him on culture night and I even find it an honour to be in his company.  His wit never fails and I appreciate that keen sense of humour which can be quite restricted in my line of work.  My peers can be so serious, that my jokes are often misunderstood.  I believe in balance and humour is part of that balance.  Actually, I am coming to believe that humour is a gift and I saw an abundance of it last night.  Though I was in three programs at the same time, I found my life at the college the most accepting and rewarding.  It was also the place where I was expected to work hard and I did.   My life outside my studies and work was minimal for five years.  Now, I can return to school and see those weary, but happy faces from the students and relate.  I can also be very happy that the majority of my studies are over.   Professional Development is a piece of cake.  I have had a good life and am in a good place doing exactly what I want.  I want to help people and I want to write for fun.
    One of the Profs asked me what I was writing and how much I had written.  I told her and said
200 pages.  She suggested that I eliminate the first part.  I was writing too much and people don’t
want to read more than 200 pages.   I didn’t know that.  I must be one of the few who read fat books.  Last year when I was selling my, “Hey Guy Buy Me” at Queens Park, one man began to tell me off, saying that I was charging too much for my little skinny book.  What do I know about the cost of selling books?  I left that up to the publisher.  I think the cartoons in it are worth it and my wit and comedy as well.  But not that guy.  He looked at the cover and began giving me the lecture of a life time regarding the cost.  I did not tell him what my publisher told me about the quality of the paper.  I thought if I had, he might yell out louder while walking away. 
    “How are your books selling and what is the title?”  The Prof who has written scholarly books asked.  How embarrassing among intellectuals to be discussing my comical guide for men.  One person said she had read it and found it funny.  She smiled.  I replied that my book was not selling very much but I have heard that from other writers.  I said I have learned from this experience and will hunt for a publisher who takes care of all that selling part in future.  In other words self publishing may not be my answer, though I really liked dealing with the publisher of my book.  However, one needs help and by the way the Publishers I saw at events give away books they are trying to promote,  I want one of them.  I hear writers tell me that it is not like the old days when lots was done for an author.     
     I learned at the party from one man that he was told to eliminate everything white in his diet.  I thought of everything that I eat, white buns, white butter, white mayonnaise etc…..I learned that too much potassium has the same symptoms on the body as too little potassium.  I think I will start eliminating or decreasing the white in my fridge and buy little bananas.  How much potassium is ok?  What foods have potassium  anyhow besides my favourite bananas?
   The highlight of the night was watching the entertainment.  I am always at awe at how much the students and Profs have to offer.  My academic advisor (past) sang in Latin and played the guitar with a guest.  He has an amazing voice and used to begin some classes singing in Latin.
     What I enjoyed most was a traditional Mexican Native dance and all that was needed was a burning fire to dance around to.  The male actually dented a part of the floor and broke off another, with the force of his dance.  I guess the floor was laminate.  I would try to lean back further not to have him topple over me.  The space was so confined and the dance so beautiful, powerful and traditional.  The costume of feathers and beads and leather was breathtaking.  I yelled out to a Native friend of mine who had been in several classes of mine, asking if she could beat that dance.  I know her well enough to be able to say that.  She chuckled, across from me.
    It was a wonderful evening.  When I drove my favourite Prof back to his residence, I thought about how much I had written and how I had eleven more years story to condense. 
     “I think I will write it all and then keep a copy of that for my records.”  He agreed and suggested that I edit it afterwards. 
     As I sit here thinking of last night and about to begin writing again, I wonder if I should condense everything to 200 pages or to write about the different stages such as Basic Training, Police Training, Ottawa etc…For the meantime, I will continue to write and focus less on details.  Then I will read it all over again correcting what needs to be corrected and then think a bit more about it while I look for a publisher. 
     I know my neighbour had to condense his book, at the request of his publisher.  Ummmmm. In the mean time, I will take a day at a time and savor each moment of this phase of my life and the writing of this book.  This will probably be my only serious book.  I am already thinking of the next one.  Now that I know readers don’t like reading more than 200 pages, I can write so many more books…..YES!!   Will I sell them?  What do you think?  

No comments:

Post a Comment