Wednesday 18 July 2012

Who do I counsel, you ask?

One of the first questions I am ever asked is who do I counsel?  I normally respond everyone.  I have counselled children, women and men as well as couples and families.  I have never to date, turned anyone away.  It is obvious due to my own background that I have a special interest for counselling the military, veterans and police.  I understand the culture and therefore I believe I have more indepth understanding of where the person is coming from.  On the other hand, I have never suffered the abuse I have so often seen in my work and in counselling so am I contradicting myself?  I don't think so.  I believe I have had adequate education, training, and experience in helping people who have suffered abuse of any kind.  Understanding the religion, spirituality and concerns of the person seeking help and journeying with them to discover themselves in a particular process suited to the individual is very satisfying when I see the benefits of counselling.  However,  I can only help those who want to help themselves.  It is because of that I have come to realize that unless a person in couple therapy having an affair is not willing to let go the third party in a triangle, or an alcoholic coming to a session after consuming alcohol or a person who is taking drugs comes to a session 'high' I am not able to help that person.  So, I am willing to counsel a drug addict or alcoholic on the condition they are drug/alchohol free when they come to a session.  I will counsel everyone who really wants help.  How much value is there placed in counselling and psychotherapy?  How much value is there placed in the process of finding why there is something lacking in life?  Why not start today to examine your life and ask yourself is this where you want to be?  What do you think?   

No comments:

Post a Comment