Sunday 29 July 2012

How does your Saturday night compare to mine in Toronto?

     There is a lot of controversy lately about violence in Toronto.  Many people who complain about Toronto don’t even live here though they like to associate themselves as doing so when living in nearby towns.  Maybe they work here and disappear into their neck of the woods?  Maybe they left 30 years ago when Toronto was a different city and they still like to complain about it, not really knowing it. 
     There are individual, charismatic neighborhoods, and some can seem quite serene especially during the day when people are working and kids are at camp.  It can be very quiet.  However, in every city there is a variety.
     Yesterday morning I went to visit someone in the cemetery.  It was 0830 in the morning and already the cemetery was busy with people walking, visiting their loved ones and jogging.  I parked my car in this Western European neighborhood and people nodded at me and greeted me in their native tongues.  I though how nice this is.  People can be very friendly in the city which I don’t always see in the towns especially if you say you are from Toronto.  How ironic.
     Then last night I left my home at 5pm to be at a favorite annual party at 6pm.  What I like about Roy’s house is that he lives on the waterfront and I can just sit and stare out at Lake Ontario and bask under the stars. 
     As soon as I drove from home in plenty of time to find parking at my destination, one of my neighbors flagged me down.  She had found a distressed dog and wanted my help because she was going to a party.  Hers was in our neighborhood.  It took an hour for both us to have another neighbor stay with the dog while animal rescue would complete their shift change and come to the little dog’s aid.  The dog had a plate of food and water and after we made sure the little dog was safe, we both left to our respective parties. I stopped when I saw a small group of people nearby and asked if they were missing a dog.  One well dressed man asked if the dog was worth something.  I just ignored him and drove away not impressed.   I was driving downtown when the driver of  a paint truck cut me off.  He had pulled out of a driveway and proceeded into my inner lane almost colliding with my car.  He felt that because he had signaled, it gave him the right to cut me off and insisted that I reverse my car so he could continue.  I decided otherwise and so he called me a f------bitch.  The traffic was blocked but I managed to drive around him and continued on my way.  I realized I did not have gas and so used up most of my money to fill my tank with the good stuff (as suggested by my mechanic).  When I was leaving, I had another driver this time in a taxi yell at me to move and then told me to shut the f--- up. 
     I ended up at the party surprised that there was an empty space just for me, across from the party.  I was only about an hour plus late so was presently surprised.  As soon as I mingled and found my spot at the edge of the lake, I was in heaven.  How I could write here, I dreamed.  A wave splashed my white outfit drenching me and bringing me back to reality.  Well my hair was safe and so was half of my torso. 
    I sold one of my books to a dear man at the party.  Another man approached me and bored me too tears, about complaints of an “ex ex” girlfriend who didn’t like to pay half when they dated.  He reminded me of Saturday night fever.  I think it was the way he dressed.  Men like him should really buy my book and read it.  But men like that think they know it all when it comes to women.  I was saved from further annoyance and boredom when I was informed that I should talk to the host about my car.  “It’s being towed” someone remarked playfully just to inform me she was joking.  My car had not been towed but someone had collided with it.   I left the party about an hour later wondering if I should have stayed home.  I thought of the beautiful moon, the stars and the playful waves of a clear lake and decided the pain of the evening was worth it just for the view and warmth of nature. Even my own pets cuddled closer than normal when I got home and did not complain about going out.
      My city has all kinds of people, some are really nice and maybe some are not so nice.  If I ever leave Toronto it won’t be to get out of what my city offers.  It will be to re-connect to the tranquillizing effects that nature offers in its relentless beauty and charm.

No comments:

Post a Comment