Wednesday 14 March 2012

Muslin - Christian - culture .....You say what????? A bit of me.

This month has been very busy for me as I start a new business, take classes and try to maintain the balance of life that I promote for good reason.  It is also an exciting time as I continue to grow.

I taught for two years which had nothing to do with theology or psychology.  I shall write about that in my second book.  What I did learn is that when you teach something, you really learn a lot yourself because you need to study the subject thoroughly to be able to teach it.  I did not always have the answers and would instruct the student asking the question, that I would look into it and than get back to him or her and I did.  If any of you are my previous students and are reading my blog, I encourage you to challenge me if I am not correct in my memory. 

Recently I have heard from an instructor that the Roman Catholic church has always looked the way it is now or words to that effect.  This had actually been told to someone that inquired.  The reply was assumed.  Actually keeping this simple, early followers would meet in individual homes.  As more people congregated, a bigger space was required.  This changed how music was heard as well.  People used to stand around and not kneel down.  This is something we borrowed from the  Protestants.   This is very vague but what I want to acknowledge is that if one is in a position of any authority than what is said should be accurate.  I may eat my words one day and be wrong myself.  I hope that when that happens, I will have the grace to return to who ever I provided the wrong information with the correct version.  Notice I did not say "if "but "when". 
     Another thing I heard recently is that women who cover their faces do so because it is in the Qur'an.  This is not accurate either.    I have had the wonderful experience of being taught by Dr Ovey Mohammed, at Regis College, University of Toronto.  Though I did not always think of the experience has wonderful, no one challenged me more.  If you want to learn about World Religions, I highly recommend him, but he is no easy ride.  You cannot simply regurgitate what you read.  You must think.  You will be challenged and that is what makes a professor grand.  This lovely man, a Jesuit, in his 70's, I now consider a friend.  Not all share my  enthusiasim, because he challenges priests as well as seminarians.  This is thinking outside of the box, or outside our own frame of restricted thought.  I have noticed that many who read my blog are from outside my country and therefore I encourage you to buy his book, Muslim-Christian Relations, Past, Present, Future (Eugene Or: 2008) Mohammed, Ovey N.  It is an easy read.  This man is humble and has been a great promoter of women entering a school, that was once closed to women.  
     I am aware that people have their own concepts of their respective religions and I have learned to tread carefully.  I leaned this when a woman was informing me that she chose to keep her face "naked" which was contrary to her religion.  I casually remarked that this was culture and not religion.  I will permit you to use your own imagination at  what followed.  In an academic setting, we explore, challenge and debate.  I had become so emersed in academia that I had to relearn to sometimes hold my tongue.  Sometimes.  Not too long ago a woman told me that it is the Holy Spirits who guides her group (Catholic) and no other education is required.  I held my tongue, but was amazed.   We need to know our own religion before examining others.  What I have learned, is what my elementary substitue teacher taught me when we were having a conversation.  I think I was ten.  He said that the more he has learned, the more he has realized that he knows so very little.  I concur.  "I know nothing" I recently blurted out in class.  The instructor said she knew what I meant by that.  Theology is complex.  It is more than what we study.  Mohammed acknowledges, "there is no divine scripture in the pure state.....  "it is important for Christians to be aware that according to the Christian faith the fullness of revelation is not the written word of the New Testament but the person of Jesus Christ.  The New Testament is the human record, the authentic memoir of the self communication of God in Christ.  The New Testament itself reports the fullness of revelation through Christ only incompletely (Mohammed, 54). 
     Last "doors are open - Toronto"  I went to visit a beautiful mosque.  I attended a lecture, I ate some food and I was given a copy of the Qur'an which I keep respectively in my library.  What people need to remember is that Islamic extremist  is not what the Muslim Religion is about.  I did challenge the speaker who was identified as a professor but teaches in a college with no affiliation to an university.  I challenge, question and  continue to learn because I am a student of life.
   My passion academically is psychology.  I love that there are research studies and I personally need statistics for findings.  It is not enough for me to hear that this is how you do things.  I need to hear that findings have depicted that.................I also give weight to particular qualitative studies.  If someone has worked exclusively with alcoholics, drugs, grief etc... for many years than it is natural to see patterns but I think the balance is required.  Statistics is required.  Research does not prove, it only disproves.

 I want to thank you  for reading my blogs.  I have no intention to write a book in theology or psychology.  I cringed when I found my book being sold in the psychology book shelf at one store.  I quickly informed the lady working there to please place my books elsewhere.  I want to write books only for fun.
   Here is where I will write about theology and psychology of what I have learned and am learning.    Not everyone can afford books.  Education is a fortune and not everyone can afford it.  This is the reality of life.  What do you think?   

No comments:

Post a Comment