Sunday 4 December 2011

Schomberg, Christmas Fair

     There is a little town, North of the city, that has a Christmas fair during the first Saturday of December every year.  I always felt like I was going back into time 100 years, but this year, time was somewhat catching up with Schomberg.  Perhaps, country people have a reason to mistrust city folks.   Perhaps, people want to escape the city where old charm dwells.  But, in that escape we bring our present city wants and needs.
     I arrived at Schomberg, as I always arrive, early.  This is a trait, I learned from my father.  I wanted a coffee and was directed to a coffee shop which I never noticed before.  Apparently it has been there for four years and for four years I never noticed it.   There were quite a few people there, busy behind the counter.  There was an aura of stimulation and anticipation of all the people that would be coming to the fair.  A woman came beside me and asked if I had been served.  I said no and got my black strong coffee which tasted quite good.  I sat by the window, looking out at the few people walking by.  I often toy with the idea of living away from the city.  The locale is small, but somehow they managed to fit furniture into it, giving it a cozy atmosphere. I saw a family coming in, then a couple.  I wondered where people would sit.  I needed to go to the bathroom and decided to leave so someone else could sit.  I asked the same person who had wanted to know if I had been served, where the bathroom was.  I was curtly informed that the bathroom was not open for business that day.  They were expecting too many people.  Those were not the actual words spoken, but that is what I heard.  It  is my understanding that if you have a type of restaurant, coffee shop or whatever, that you should permit your customers to use the bathroom when it is functional.  I said I would report it and of course there was no concern  about that.  Did she hear that before?  Did she not care?  Is that allowed in Schomberg?   Anyhow, I was directed across the street.  I went and saw some type of portable outhouse, I had no intention of using.  After all, I wasn't in the middle of nowhere (was I?).   First impressions count for a lot.  I was not impressed. 
     I continued to walk along, until I met with a club member.  The Santa Claus parade began and all was forgotten.  I slowly began to feel the Christmas spirit.  Yes there is a Santa Claus.  Treats were given out to the children and one gracious woman also gave out treats to the adults.  I looked at my two small chocolate bars with glee.  I took off the wrapping of one and promptly put it into my mouth as I noticed someone taking my picture.  It is wonderful when someone takes your picture with a mouthful of chocolate.  But when you are in the Christmas spirit, it is all good.
     I could not get into Sheena's kitchen because they were expecting a party of people.  I never used to need a reservation, but this has changed during the years.  At least it has at the Christmas Fair.  They stopped selling my Christmas baskets in the church basement where I was looking forward to Christmas shop.  However, I did buy home made bread for only 2.00 .  There were no marshmallows this year, but I did buy a bag of chestnuts for only 2.00 once again.  Not all stores gave treats anymore and we even got kicked out of the real estate office because they were having a private party.  Why have a private party when you have to pay 5.00 to get into the town?  Oh well!  The houses were wonderful, all lit up and beautiful.  The reindeers were enchanting.  No buggy ride this year.  Time has changed. 
     I felt the loss of a Christmas fair I had grown to love.  My companion however loved it.  I was caught in a time warp.  Today I will meet up with an 84 year old darling and I shall ask him how he feels about the change of time.  Will I be returning to Schomberg for its' Christmas Fair?  Probably not.  But I will be returning to Schomberg.  It is too cute, to ignore.  I shall return to Sheena's kitchen until I need reservations for the rest of the week.  When that happens, I will realize that Schomberg got too big for this city gal.  In the meantime I shall look further North for my bargain baskets, my scones, and the need for that small town hospitality where I can use the bathroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment