Friday 9 December 2011

Exam time - tip

I am so glad that I do not have to write exams anymore.  At least for the time being.  My undergrad  exams were mostly multiple choice.  It was for that reason and stats that most students left psychology.  At least that was my observation.  I am sure they have the stats, which may contradict my experience.

I however loved psychology and still do.  During exams, every once in awhile, a student would break down from the stress and begin to cry or get extremely aggitated, to a point where he or she could no longer write the exam.  The rest of us would be cautious of this, but would continue with our exam because we were timed.  We normally had two hours and it was not unusual to have a hundred questions or more.  We knew exactly how many questions we had and the amount of time we had to answer the question.  I would have my watch on my desk to keep me aware of the time.  I would have at least two pencils or more HB, to fill in the appropriate box.   There was no time for thinking.  You either knew the answer or you did not.  There would always be two that were so much alike that you sometimes had to skip and return to it if you had time.  After the exam, we would gather outside and ask fellow students about individual questions, to determine if we got it.  After our final exam there were always a few of us who went to celebrate on campus or off and at times our TA or prof would join us.  Those were the days.

     Grad school was mostly papers.  In my final year I was spitting out papers because I knew I had to finish, if I wanted to make money.  My resource supply was running low.  

     Now back to psychology tests.  Our professors would always tell us that if you could not answer the question, to move ahead to the next one and not waste time.  Our professors would also give us the statistics, that students who change their first answer to another find that their first answer was correct and the change was wrong.  This was not a given, but it did happen.  That proved correct for me a few times.  I went into the exam knowing my material, inside out, anticipating the tricky questions.  I also learned from my studies that an optimal level of stress is required and that factors such as a headache or feeling sick could effect our performance.
      I would study for about an hour and take a ten minute break (my breaks stretched out more than that at times).

     So good luck with your exams.  Remember that some stress is good for you when you write your exam.  Can your recollect some of your horrors?

No comments:

Post a Comment