Wednesday 10 April 2024

For Love of Country - Military Policewoman The Middle East www.silvaredigonda.ca

We stopped at an American post. I went inside and an American Officer began shouting at me. I was wearing a military t-shirt and combat pants and I guess he thought that too unmilitary. The Colonel came in behind me and told me to wait in the jeep. I left but not without hearing him yelling at the young officer, telling him that he was a Colonel and to address… and… and… . I did not like that American Officer and was glad that he was getting a taste of his own arrogance. The Colonel was a decent man, respectful to all of us and I had never heard him so much as raise his voice. He was an intellectual and a gentleman, but he was also a Colonel with the Military Police that was equivalent to our RCMP. He was no one’s fool. As I sat in the jeep waiting for the Colonel, I was approached by several American male soldiers. They carried a dog much like our own and she was named Lady. They begged me to take her. She was their dog and they loved her but the same American Officer who was so rude to me and was now being told off by my Colonel was going to put their dog down. I felt bad for them because I could see their pain. As I write, I wonder why we were all trying to save animals in our care. Was it because a pet was a bit of home for us? Was it a part of something that made sense to us? We had some little creature that no one wanted in their country because it was a female, but for us we did not see a female or male. We saw a creature we could love and try to protect in a country so alien to our own. I told the American soldiers that I was so sorry, but that I was driving through the desert and could not bring their dog with me. They kept begging me as I drove away, the Colonel seated beside me once again. I told the Colonel that the officer was going to kill their dog, and I told him what I thought about this arrogant officer. It is not a uniform that makes a man. Excerpt From: Silva Redigonda. “For love of country : military policewoman. For your signed copy at 19.95 www.silvaredigonda.ca

2 comments:

  1. Hey Silva, I served with you at the FMPU in 1985

    ReplyDelete
  2. Silva, have read your message but I can't respond.
    Mabybe you can send a email adress so I can send a photo.
    Greetings Jan

    ReplyDelete