Monday 1 November 2021

Another Hallowe'en - Fun times

This Hallowe'en was nice. I got more kids than last year but less than previous years. I got about 70 kids who came trick or treating and they were very cute. What surprised me this year was how polite they were. Is this another generation of hope, I pondered? My city seems to be increasing in the gangs and violence and I am sure a lot of it has to do with our very lax laws and punishment. So, when I saw these delightful children coming for their treats it was a nice break so to speak. Their costumes were wonderful as well. I had one clown who seemed to be from a Stephen King novel and as she or he came towards me, a little child who was about to get her treat, saw the clown, screamed and ran away. "Don't you want a chocolate?" I shouted. Nope. The clown just raised the mask visibly surprised at the reaction. "I like clowns," I muttered. The clown was still looking at the little girl with an amazed expression and the little girl was still running. One of my neighbours across the street had a Myers face mask on from the Friday the 13th series and I must admit when there were no children coming for treats, I was mezmorized by the realistic mask. He would hold still and scare the kids when they approached thinking him not a real person. Another neighbour across the street would yell out and scream that he didn't want to give his candies away. It was quite a show in the neighbourhood. I didn't recognize all the costumes and the children did try to educate me. Two were kind of scary because I had watched a horror movie and I recognized the mask. It was based on a true story so I was a tad unsettled, until the next child came. All in all it was quite a night and I was more generous with my treats this year. Each child got a Costco popcorn package, some cheetos and a chocolate bar. Some didn't like one treat and were not afraid to say so. I actually found this interesting and good. These little children were quite honest and self assertive. I wondered how many would become the next generation of comedians, lawyers and politicians. At nine, it was over and one of my pets was so mad at me, that he refused to sleep with me, "Mr Attitude." He sat behind me against the glass door not pleased at all that I remained outside the entire time. It was slightly cold but not as bad as previous years so I was quite comfortable with a Costco jacket on. Overall, I was quite impressed with the next generation. Happy Hallowe'en.

No comments:

Post a Comment