Friday 16 July 2021

Busy but trying to slow down - a bit about my next book and how it is coming along. www.silvaredigonda.ca

Yesterday morning I managed to finish my first draft. I have been attending the Sisters of Crime events whenever possiblie and there have been some interesting speakers. As you know I self published the first three books, mainly because I don't have the patience to wait. I send out to a few people and then am asked if they are the first I have offered a submission and of course I am honest and then don't hear anything. I have also been focused in Canada and perhaps I should do like others and spread my wings; go more international. Perhaps I should shop for an agent. I have heard all kind of reasons why someone won't accept a book. One person said if there is anyone in the book smoking, it is a no. Some don't like coffee etc......If you kill anyone in the first chapter, it's a no.etc.....I have to admit I was surprised at what I was hearing. I didn't expect so many biases. However, there were some good tips. Write, keep writing and don't stop. That is what I did with this last book. I wrote and didn't stop but there were so many gaps between being able to write. So, in this draft when I return to it, I imagine there will be many errors for me to correct. I wrote 160 pages. I like this book. It's spooky. Aw that is something else that I learned. One writer shared that she was rejected by one publishing company only to be accepted when she changed it from mystery to supernatural mystery or something like that. Ideally, it would be wonderful to just focus on my book for a month, so it can remain fresh, but that is not possible during this pandemic. I have been busier than ever, seeing clients and attending seminars, because there have been so many changes because of the pandemic. So, as I attempt to slow down and focus on my book, it still is not possible at this exact time. I want to take December off, because taking August off, doesn't seem possible at this moment. Of course things can change but I am not counting on it. I also have a responsibility to who I see. I am a one woman operation with a responsibility of care to my clients. Of course I am also big on self care and because of that I do try to take two days off a week for myself. If it cannot be two full days, it is rather close. My priority is clients, seminars and then talks about writing and finally actually writing. In this last book, I love the ending because it opens the door moreso to continue writing a series if I want to. I began writing about a heroine, but eventually I switch to a man. That is something else that I learned. Publishers now like women as the top dog. That is something else I learned- political correctness and if not correct, it can be the end of you. I feel bad for some because I believe that if changes are to occur it should be by education before giving the fatal blow. We are going through changes and don't get me wrong, I do think we are over do, but let's be kind ourselves while doing it. As I ponder how I am going to slow down in my private paractice, I am also toying with the idea to focus more on my writing. It is still a hobby unless I can make it more profitable. A person once said if you are not making money, it's a hobby. Well, so be it. I have been writing for fun since I was little so keep throwing pennies my way. I can take it. I have to go back to work, but I just didn't want to leave you without offering a bit of me to sustain you during the weekend. I plan to take at least two weeks off before Christmas and just maybe if people are good about getting their double vaccinations, I can take a mini trip. I was invited to a bbq next weekend, but I don't think I am quite ready for too many people, even though they are only inviting people who are fully vaccinated. I don't know why, but my suspicious mind tells me that people are so anxious to go out to play that they will say they are vaccinated even when they are not. So, have a good weekend. Try to balance your life during this time and please go out and seriously consider getting vaccinated. LIsten to the experts and not all the conspiracy nonesense out there. Hopefully, we can do a better job at educating in earlier grades so people can understand how biology works and other aspects which is so important right now like global warming. Have fun this weekend. I am planning for some fun each weekend from now to eternity. What do you think. www.silvaredigonda.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment