Thursday 8 April 2021

What does the brain look like? We are interconnected. We are also divided - Oh and stay home

When I attended an online webinar with Adler School of Psychology, what stuck in my mind was when a picture of the brain and that of the universe was shown. The retired President told us that the brain looks like a picture of the universe. She said that we are all interconnected but we need to feel it for change. She said that when a psychotherapist doesn’t know what to do, be curious. Being curious means taking part. There are so many ways of providing therapy and care for those who suffer. I had never connected the brain with the universe before and would have loved to keep examining those slides. As I think back at the slides and how we are interconnected, I pause to think of why I hear so much about division rather than being connected. There is so much strife and yet in so many ways we are all the same. Yesterday at a weekly meeting one person raised the issue of being Canadian versus not. My question was to ask the client what does it mean to be Canadian? I learned once again about the pain the Asian community is suffering because of ignorance; that is what racism is - ignorance, prejudging, shaming etc….and why? If I was not in the profession that I am in, I would not be hearing all about this and to this extent. I am wondering at what point did we begin to move backwards? Canada is a place as is the States where people came to make a better life for themselves. Canada is a country where people come for freedom, an equal opportunity for their children, a sustainable life. Are we providing that as much as we could? Just last week I was listening to an Aboriginal woman speaking from Vancouver about how absurd it is to her, to hear people in Canada complain about immigrants, obviously because the only original Canadians are the Aboriginals. Toronto is a very multicultural city and we need to protect the rights of everyone. It is no longer ok to be neutral. We need to speak out when one person thinks he or she is better. I think back to a club party I attended a few years ago and a woman of British descent began verbally attacking me in a condescending way because in her opinion I was a foreigner. I wasn’t focused on her core issues. I found it amusing as I watched another British woman whom I know from another occupation, defend me. I still found it amusing because I am privileged. I found it amusing because I am a long standing member of the club and I had the power to do something if I wanted to. I found it amusing because I have an abundance of confidence. However, if that was to happen now, I would take it serious, because people who do this make many suffer. Ignorance in the law is no excuse……. So, this is what has been going on this week for thought. Today I attend another webinar regarding treating mood disorders and addiction. Tomorrow I attend another webinar regarding Compassion Focus Therapy. My phone just activated with an alert, “A stay at home order is in effect. Only leave home for essential purposes such as food, health care, vaccines, exercise or work. It’s the law, stay home. Save lives.” Learn more at ontario.ca/covid response.” Yup, I have been pretty well doing that for a year, and if everyone did that we would be in a much better place but we are all different in our belief system. There are still people who do not believe there is a pandemic and I would suggest a tour of the Intensive Care Unit which is becoming over burdened. Corporations, it is time to step up and pay your people a decent wage and provide them with sick leave. It is time to stop trying to evict people because they cannot pay rent for the time being. It is time that we all stop division as soon as we spot it and unite as one people. I will shortly get my vaccine and I cannot begin to tell you how wonderful that feels. I wish I didn’t have to wait 3 months for my second dose but that is another story. For now, think of that lovely picture I saw of the brain and the universe which were identical and what that means to you in our interconnections. Keep safe. Next Monday I have a full training day. It involves grief which is rampant these days. What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment