Tuesday 16 March 2021

Language, culture, race tid bits (from notes)

I have attended quite a few seminars and conferences during this past year. To encourage continuing membership there was a lot more free events which I took advantage of. That doesn’t happen too often. This year of course due to the pandemic, we all went on line. I normally provide the notes of what I learn or refreshed for you. However, there was a lot of information that was for therapists to increase their performance. So I won’t be providing you with all the information. However, I can give you tid bits here and there for your interest. So, here goes. During my 16 Jan 21, seminar, I learned from Dr Jessica Dere that from 76 studies (USA) it was determined that the therapeutic relationship was much stronger when the therapist spoke to clients in their first language, even though it was the therapist’s second language. I can relate to that and I will expand as well. Italian is my second language and my name is rather unique. Sometimes people mistake my name as from all kinds of culture. Sometimes, a client or relative is trying to find someone who understands their culture, or religion or both, along side of the language. However, this does not apply to all. I have had clients purposely seeking me out because I am not of their culture. They don't want to be judged. So, it would have been nice to know exactly how the studies were conducted. I have only referred people to therapists of their own culture twice in my entire career as a therapist. That was because I thought someone of their own background would benefit them therapeutically. There is so much shame for some people and to have shared experience, can be very helpful. That can make them feel vaidated. I try to help people through their lens. When it comes to what is normal or not, I like to refrain from labels. However, there is a lot of normal out there that some don’t realize and that becomes therapeutic. Then there are those who try to normalize child sexual abuse as an example and that is where I step in and say no that it is not acceptable. I remember years ago hearing some man talk about how right it was to have sex with a child. I challenged him and later he approached me and wanted to know that he was just talking. He did not know, that I knew he was a pedophile. That causes so much harm. The second lecturer on that day was Dr Jackson, Associate Professor, Couple and family therapy (The Black male Therapist) from Texas. His question: How do we deal with evil in the world? When did we realize when we were different? 80% of teachers in the U.S are white. Dr Jackson said that racism is everywhere but experienced differently even within the same racial background. If you only see one lane, you may not see the other lanes. I recommend this professor. Dr Jackson is on Instagram, Facebook: The black male therapist. www.theblack therapist.com. That is all for today. Why not think about what Dr Jackson asked. What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment