Thursday 20 August 2015

Had a mini vacation in Montreal

It is always wonderful to spend time with family. I do love Montreal and if it was not for my not being able to speak the French language I would be more than tempted. Montreal has that European feel which is so unlike the rest of Western Canada. I have never been out East even though I did see the signs for Newfoundland once upon a time. Canada is beautiful and I do love her so. What I noticed this time when I went to visit my family, is that it has become more multi-cultural. I actually felt very much at home with that atmosphere and the English language was spoken more commonly than before. I only had one small incident which actually determined my decision not to consider Montreal again. I was at a Loblaws store with my cousin and at the payout counter the cashier insisted on speaking to me in the French language, even though I had asked a question in the English language. She continued to speak in French and as far as I knew she could have been calling me names. I understood naught. That did it however and I actually felt bad for the city. It was once the biggest city of all Canada. It had it all and because of a language which became very political business fled. I realize it is more than a language it is also a culture as it usually is. I cannot chance starting a practice in a place where I can be made to feel like a second class citizen in my own country and worse not being able to help people because I do not speak French. However, everyone else was wonderful. I had been asking people I encountered casually what it is like for an English speaking person to live in Montreal? One woman from India told me that she had lived in Toronto for two years and she found the people cold and uncaring. She said that people would enter their apartments and want nothing to do with their neighbours. She could not afford a house in Toronto but in Montreal she had a house. This lovely bubbly woman spoke of how happy she was in Montreal. Another told me that things are getting better regarding people who do not speak French. She explained that government staff always oblige in either language, "But you get those die hards that refuse to speak English or acknowledge....." I would have a problem I was told. So, Montreal, I shall continue to visit you and perhaps one day there will be equality for everyone since it is becoming more and more muticultural. I understand as one person told me that there is a fear of losing a language, an identity. I can understand that because I have heard it before with other languages. On a bright side, I was informed to walk through a tunnel to get to the main street which is like our Yonge Street. I was hesitant even if my cousin who is male recommended it. I cautiously walked towards it and saw a woman and child exiting it. "Is it safe?" I asked. I was assured once again. I took the chance and entered. It was long and lit up, the sun no longer visible. I saw another woman with some children enter from the other side and I continued after having taking some pictures. That is one tunnel I would never, never, never go through in Toronto. When I spoke to my cousin about the tunnel he assured me that nothing ever happened there. He said that there was one incident of some youths smoking a drug and they were arrested. It immediately made the papers. He told me that the Police walk into it at times and that there are cameras connected to the police station. I marvelled. Returning to Toronto as always I felt I was coming home. My city is vibrant however I saw two police questioning a vagrant who appeared to be under the influence. He had possession of a sad looking dog and I was grateful that the police would probably take care of the dog. It was very hot and the dog had no water. As I returned home and after greeting everyone and settling down, I turned on the news and heard that women had been sexually assaulted on the belt line which I only went through once on foot and alone because of its isolation. A sexual preditor pretending to be a minister had held a special needs person in a hotel for two months sexually molesting her and it was not his first offence. How horrible I thought for a young girl to come to Toronto and her first experience when she comes off the bus is to be taken advantage of. The taxi driver who had taken me home asked about the area. "They stabbed someone down the street." I continue, "My neighbour told me he saw some road rage and a fellow lifted his shirt to expose a revolver." I add, "There was a sexual assault too in the laneway." I wonder about my city and what it is turning into. They keep telling us that it is a safe city but I know better because I have seen the increase in crime since my youth. The cabber enlightens me with his veiw, "When I come here it is only to drop someone off. I don't pick up any fares here." The taxi cabber lives in Scarborough and he fears my area. I wonder how quick I can learn French. I have found my corner of Montreal where one of my stories will be born. Bonjour!!!!!!! (I posted a picture of the tunnel and would be very interested in knowing what you think)

No comments:

Post a Comment