Wednesday 26 November 2014

Why we need a College of Psychotherapy.

Again I have been receiving protesting emails now asking for money to fight the College of Psychotherapy. Not only do I get annoyed by emails I really don't like, such as the newest way to scam me, but I also get emails to advertise for free or at minimal costs to connect my name to some organization or another. I am not going to attach my name to advertise anything in any way to endorse them. Awe ya awe! During a seminar, I heard a representative from a board of an organization, speak out to her audience, that the College of Psychotherapy is only a money opportunity for the government. Yes, it is expensive, however, the public needs to be protected and there needs to be someone to crack knuckles. Also, the board member should keep her biases to herself and only speak out to members with what she knows is facts. It appears now much was known. At the same seminar, I attended a workshop hoping to learn something new about addiction. The speaker from a well respected organization said she also teaches at Ryerson University. Now, she has a Masters degree. However, on her slide which I am sure she provides for her students she has PHD (c), as part of her credentials. In my ethics class, I thought that was a rediculous question. Why would someone not having a PHD indicate that she is a candidate. So she wants to have a Phd, well someone needs to tell her she does not have it, and therefore, you cannot follow it behind your name. A woman at my table was horrified as well. "She may not even be successful." And that is one reason we need a College. Here is a woman who is teaching at a university and her students may think that she is more educated, then she is. If she was with the college, she could be reported and that would come off immediately. In all fairness, she may not even know that it is unethical. That is all I learned from her lecture. I am sure that the slides were for first year students. I learned absolutely nothing at all, besides witnessing something unethical. So, please stop sending me emails for protesting against a College very much needed to protect the public. I support it. I think this is long over do. I would like to see everything registered, so that when people pay big bucks for services, they know someone has their back.

No comments:

Post a Comment