Tuesday 18 February 2014

Perceptions

Today I was leaving a work location when someone asked me if I would like to join a knitting club. I almost roared with laughter. I left the building still laughing. I walked down the street and would break into laughter. I found it so very funny. I had told the person that if my mom had heard that, she would turn over in her grave. I suggested that asking me to join a dancing club would be more appropriate for me and a very young person beside her remarked quite innocently, "Really?" My mom used to knit. She used to knit beautifully and I have things that she knitted that will outlive me. That is how it all started. I was asked if I had knitted my hat. I do not normally wear anything on my head, but today with the falling snow, I decided to walk to my destination. I wore the hat to keep my hair from getting wet. I wanted to feel the brisk cold. There is nothing more beautiful in the winter than that first clean burst of snow. Of course we have had plenty of snow. People have a tendacy to project. If I am having an affair, I accuse you of having an affair. Did that ever happen to you? I like to knit and therefore you like to knit or should. I do not believe that anyone over the age of thirty would like to dance because I do not know anyone in my family over 30 who does. Look at the way she dresses. Isn't that dress to long, too short, too this too that for her? "Look at him thinking he is the cat's meow. He will never amount to anything, just look at him now talking to that married woman. I bet her husband does not know......" They cannot get along because they are mixed cultures, mixed race, mixed, mixed, mixed. How to nick this in the butt? I probably mentined this in an earlier blog. I was on a touring bus and sitting next to an old guy. I was starting to feel crowded (as he was getting closer) so I sat on the adjoining seat. The old guy than continued to talk to me while leaning his arm on my leg. Not being one to mince words, I kindly told him to not touch me. A woman seated one seat down, sarcastically asked me if I thought I was a teenager. I wondered what she was projecting? The old guy is 35 years older than I am. The eldest I have ever dated was four years older. "Date them young and raise them the way you like." A sweet neighbour once suggested. I thought he was very cute. The point I am making today is that you need to live for yourself. Sometimes people mean well and sometimes people do not mean well at all, but ultimately you need to live and be comfortable with yourself. We are each influenced by all we have experienced. Sometimes one thinks that he or she knows better because he or she is right and that is it. He or she may have 10 friends who thinks like he and she and therefore everyone in his or her opionion, thinks the same. Some people need support. Instead of saying this is how I think and therefore you are wrong to think the way you do is because, "everyone thinks that" or "everyone does that" Really? That is why research is so important. There are samples of the population, you have a Control group and an Experimental group and you can still not prove anything, just disprove it. You can live in the middle of nowhere land and be lost among those who think differently than you do. You can live in the middle of a big city and still feel lost if everyone else seems to be acting differently. What is important is not what others think you should do or be or act, but what you think that should be. Communication is a very valuable tool. Why not spend sometime today or tomorrow and write out these questions: Who am I? Why am I as I am? Am I happy being who I am? Is it who I want to be or is it who others want me to be. Am I stuck in life? Why? What can I do about it? So, as I turn on the music and do a little dance, I shall chuckle again about the thought of knitting. (oops cannot help it. I am laughing. And as for dirty old men? I prefer to raise them the way I like. Any man older or near my dad's age is simply not an option (Yuky!) And how was your day?

No comments:

Post a Comment