Thursday 12 December 2013

Pet peeve over ruled, with changes within the service of the Post Office. 8000 posties will be gone?!!!!!!No more delivery!!!!!!!!

     I watched CTV news last night and somehow missed what I heard on channel 24, later when I was checking the weather.   I don't normally watch the weather station, because it takes too long to get the Toronto weather.  However, I was stunned to silence which is rare, when I heard that with government approval, the delivery service will be phased out in the next five years, postage will increase from .60 something to 1.00 (CDN) and 8000 postwomen and men will also be losing their jobs.  And this was approved by our government.  Even Justine Trudeau made sense to me last night as he argued in favour of retaining services.

     "Stay out of Politics, Silva"  I hear the echo of my pastoral advisor warning me.  Is this politics or advocacy?  Ok, forget everything I wrote yesterday about not sending cards etc..........Go viral all the way!!!!!Multiply all responses!!!!!!!!!!  Let's move into the future, full speed ahead.

    It was not too long ago that I was in a cell phone/internet shop and every single person was on the phone (myself included).  As I looked around and observed this and after completing my call, I blurted out, "Look at what has become of us" (raising my phone).  I received nods and smiles and resignations.

Our taxes was raised to support a bit of extension to support Scarborough with the TTC.  I don't use the
TTC (rarely).  It would be interesting to know exactly how many people who live outside Toronto use the TTC as compared to Torontonians.    I am staying out of politics.  I do not know how much the government contributes to the Post office.  I do not know the budget of the Post Office.  I have become sceptic about what is not making enough of money and I have become sceptic about management of businesses.  We have the world economy to thank.  I ponder who runs the country, corporations or the people.  Ok, enough politics.

     I really enjoy receiving my mail in the comfort of my home.  I have really liked each and every Postie who has delivered my mail.  I even wrote a poem about one, that I may post again before Christmas.   I  had one postie who used to knock on my door if he thought I was receiving something very important.  I  think I get a lot of mail.  I certainly use the mail services a lot.  So who is really going to be affected?  Toronto is not the new development where everyone walks from their oversized homes, to get their mail, booming with new young families.  Toronto has it all.  Toronto has an abundance of elderly who are alone, sick who are alone, and the frail who are alone.   Too many struggle, to pay their bills, buy food and pay escalating rent.  The poor is getting poorer and the rich is getting richer.   I know that for me not getting mail at my door is purely selfish and a luxury I have had most of my life, unless I happened to be somewhere for the moment.  8000 people out of work???????  Did I hear right?????   I certainly hope that if this happens, they will be all given pensions for life because how else will they survive?

Employer:  "What are your skills?"

Postie no more:    I have been delivering mail for the last 20 years.  My back hurts a bit now and my knees   are not what they used to be.  But I made sure I delivered the mail each day to every person on my route because they depended on me.

Employer:   I see.  You can carry loads but how does that apply here?  There is no need to carry loads and there are government regulations on how much you can carry anyhow.  It sounds to me that you may have carried a tad too much, hey?

Postie no more:    (thinking  -  How am I going to feed my family.  My wife does not make enough money now to take care of the rent.  What am I going to do?  I need a job and I finally got an interview).

Employer:  What kind of people skills do you have?

Postie:         I always spent time to talk and get to know everyone on my route.  I always made sure to deliver the pension and social service cheques because I know how much they depend on them to survive.  Some of the elderly people on my route wait for me each day because I am the only person that they see all day.  I delivered mail, sir, even when I didn't have to because people depend on me.  It didn't matter how hot it was or how cold or how much snow........people depended on me.

Employer:   I see.   What business skills do you have?

Postie:         Business skills?

Employer:    Yes, business, profits,  ............................

Postie:       Sir, I have just been delivering the mail for all these years.  I have brought the business to the people.  I have given them the bills they cannot pay.  I have given them the advertisements they did not want.  I have provided them with the notices that they did not want.  That is the business part.  I have also delivered them the letter they had never expected to receive by a loved one.  I have delivered them the news that I have heard....oh.....I am sorry.  That is not business, that is called something else, isn't it?

Employer:  My company is doing its best to reach out and give all you people who have lost your jobs the possibility of employment.  We do that because we care.  However, I am afraid that you do not have the qualifications that our mandate requires.  I am sorry, but I am sure you understand.

Postie:    Yes sir.  Thank you for this opportunity and Merry Christmas.  Oh, I am sorry........Happy Holidays.........I don't want to be offensive.

Employer rises and smiles, "Happy Holidays!" He reaches out his arm so he can shake posties hand.  Postie a true gentleman also rises and looks at the chubby hand of the employer.  He feels forced to shake the soft hand that turns him away from the opportunity to feed and house his family.

      Postie leaves the building and sits on a park bench at the park across the building.  It was donated.  The snow falls, caressing his stricken face.   He looks up at the sky and pleads.  "Help me God.  Please help me feed my family. "

      Employer calls for his secretary.  This was a waste of time.  What business skills does a postie have.  "June" he calls out to his secretary,  "I need you to go get something for my wife.  Find something nice ....you know what I mean.  She is upset because she thinks I do not spend enough time with her.  It doesn't bother her the rest of the year.  But there is something about the holidays.  You know women.  Hey, and get something for yourself.  You deserve it.  And why don't you reserve a table for us again at Giovannis?

       The postie is still sitting on a bench in the park praying.  How will he feed his family.  HOw will he feed his little girls?

                                              Merry Christmas everyone.............Ooops Happy Holidays

No comments:

Post a Comment