Saturday 16 March 2013

Question: Highlight one or two things that you found to be significant in the handout or chapter and what did you find puzzling (one or two things).

     What I found significant in the handout (Understanding Soul Care) is pg 101 which indicates that Western psychology of the self has been greatly influenced by Descartes's "I think, therefore I am, contrary to "I am because we are; we are because I am." The latter being African spiritual philosophy has been identified as being closer to the Christian understanding of self.  I have observed that in our society, we have a focus of ourselves which is very much a me world.  We tend to lose meaning in basic humanity.  I found it puzzling that we should not give to the poor because they are less fortunate but because God is somehow present in those who suffer(106).  I find this notion that doing so is condescension or pity, misguided.  I think that everyone, Christian or not, whether they see God in another or not, should contribute something of themselves to others because they are indeed less fortunate.  If we are more united in compassion regardless of religion (if any), beliefs and culture than we may just be able to survive this world.  I am also puzzled that, "Christian spirituality is also manifest in care of God's creation" (106) as a response to global crises.  I think that taking care of this planet is basic biological survival mode at this point.  Of course I may be wrong, but I found myself stirred by these statements.
   I found the chapter from our text very significant regarding Ignatian spiritual direction and how the author combined spirituality with psychotherapy.  I think that the year waiting period is rather long, though I understand it may be necessary for the process of the intense knowledge about the person.  I am puzzled that we don't have therapists trained by our own church combined with spirituality as a separate degree program.  

No comments:

Post a Comment