Friday 8 February 2013

Do you need psychotherapy/pastoral counselling?

     There has been a lot of advertising lately regarding mental health in an attempt to de-stigmatise.  Celebrities are utilized so that if they can say that they needed help, than someone who is the average Joe should not be hesitant either.
     One of the challenges I know preventing people from getting help is the concept of strength.  " I don't need therapy because I am strong."  How can that strength be defined?  Is it the opposite of "I don't need help because if I get it that means I am weak."  Really?  Is it not indicitive of strength?  Thus the use of celebrities.
     If one has a back ache?  Does he ignore it?  Does he see a physician, a message therapist, a chiropractor or something or someone else to relieve his pain?  Does he ignore it?
     What is the difference between physical and mental health?  The two may be in most cases very interconnected.  If someone is suffering and it is causing stress, it is very likely that this may have physical ramifications within two years if it is not eliviated. 
     In my undergrad, (I mentioned this when I first writing this blog) I was taught that at times it is as simple as needing to confide in someone because there is no other in one's life to confide in.  The "Aunt Martha" so to speak is disappearing in people's life.
     At times it may be a chemical inbalance which can be controlled by medication.  I encourage all clients to have a complete physical as a process of elimination which again I have been taught to do as early as undergrad.  What keeps people from wanting to see a physician?  I remember when I was in Italy, a physician (in my second book) told me that "these people avoid doctors and then when they are so sick that have no choice, they come and then it is too late to help them.  The saying is don't go to see the doctor because he will kill you."  I remember some old Italian people saying just that.  "He was healthy.  He never went to see a doctor and then when he did, it was over."  I always found that humorous but when the physician was explaining this type of mentality among the locals of the area, I realized the ignorance connected to it and the ramifications.
      There are people who have suffered so much that they are simply not ready to face what has happend to them. 
      There are people who see a counsellor and cannot connect with her and so stop trying to find one where a connection is possible.        
       There are people who have positions of authority where people depend on them and they feel they need to go on and on and ignore the symptons they are suffering.
       There is a much longer list but I am sure you know what it is keeping you from reaching out.  Do you see yourself here?  What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment